No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Ghwell in grand reopening of Tripoli International Airport

byMichel Cousins
February 17, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Ghwell in grand reopening of Tripoli International Airport

By Libya Herald reporter.

New Terminal TIP
The new terminal at Tripoli International Airport (Photo: Social media)

Tripoli, 16 February 2017:

To mark the sixth anniversary of the 17 February Revolution, Khalifa Ghwell, the “prime minister” of the so-called National Salvation Government, presided over a high-profile reopening of Tripoli International Airport this morning.

In fact, what was reopened was the old VIP terminal which escaped the general destruction in mid-2014 when the Misratan-led forces attacked the Zintani units occupying it at the time. Re-habilitated and re-vamped, it was today presented as the new Tripoli airport.

All the way along the Airport Road, between the main traffic lights at the intersection next to what was supposed to have been Tripoli Gate shopping mall right through to the airport itself, there were gun-mounted vehicles belonging either to Misrata’s Al-Marsa brigade or the new Libya National Guard – the new but reduced Mark-II version of Libya Dawn force of 2014/15. It was also noticeable that so many of the “soldiers” manning them were young – very young. They seemed to be between 18 and 20 years of age, or even younger.

RELATED POSTS

First asphalt layer being put down at Tripoli International Airport

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

At the main gate the Libyan flag flew, but inside the feeling was that one place was running the show. “I felt I was in Misrata”, said one visitor. “The guards, the officials – they were all from Misrata.”

Many of the “guests” were noticeably drawn from the very people who every Friday and Saturday have been protesting in Tripoli’s Martyrs’ Square against Faiez Serraj and the Presidency Council.

Among others attending were LNG commander Mahmoud Al-Zaghel as well as a general galaxy of noted Islamists, former General National Congress (GNC) and Justice & Reconstruction party members. These included former GNC deputy president Awad Abdul Saddeq, as well as GNC members Mohamed Busidra, Ahmed Assadi and Mohamed Margham, plus Khaled Sharif and Saleh Badi, the former Misrata GNC member and militia commander who, more than anyone else, was responsible for the airport ‘s destruction in 2014.

TIP
Work underway for the new passenger terminal (Photo: Social media)

They and the few members of the media who had been invited mixed for a time. Then Ghwell arrived in a convoy of some dozen vehicles. He formally “opened” the terminal and everyone was then told to go outside to see the first plane landing at the airport in two and a half years.

Expectations of an Afriqiyah Airbus or some other civil airliner arriving were disappointed however, when what appeared to be a small crop sprayer landed.

Those present were encouraged not to take photos.

Tripoli International Airport in waiting (Photo: Social media)
Tripoli International Airport in waiting (Photo: Social media)

What was opened today was no more than the old VIP terminal. But next to it was the planned new passenger teminal, supposedly being built by a local company, Al-Sarih.

Tags: featuredKhalifa GhwellLibyaTripoliTripoli International Airport

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Italy completes training of first batch of Libyan coastguards

Tobruk becomes second town to cancel Revolution Day celebrations

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.