No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Italian 48-hour diplomatic drive ends with embassy reopening

byNigel Ash
January 11, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Italian 48-hour diplomatic drive ends with embassy reopening

Italy's new ambassador presents his credentials (Photo: PC)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Italy's new ambassador presents his credentials (Photo: PC)
Italy’s new ambassador presents his credentials (Photo: PC)

Tunis and Tripoli, 10 January 2017:

Italy’s new ambassador to Libya presented his credentials today to Presidency Council chairman Faiez Serraj and then went on to the reopening of his country’s imposing white embassy on Tripoli’s Corniche.

Giuseppe Perrone’s formal installation marked the climax of 48 hour of diplomatic activity by Italy which saw its interior minister Marco Minniti in the capital to give the PC and Government of National Accord his country’s full backing. He also met Serraj’s two PC deputies Ahmed Maetig and Abdussalam Kajman as well as foreign minister-designate Mohamed Siala. One key outcome for Rome is the agreement to draw up a memorandum designed to address the flow of migrants passing through Libya on their way by sea to Italy.

The embassy reopening added strong symbolism to the visit since Italy is the first country to return its diplomats. As Minniti made clear during his visit, in February 2015 Italy had also been the last country to pull its embassy staff out of Tripoli in the face of collapsing security. Most missions had been closed and withdrawn to Tunis during the summer of 2014.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Business Council hosts delegation of Italian Embassy to discuss preparations for Libyan-Italian Forum‎

Italian embassy concert wows guests – stresses trans-Mediterranean commonalities

Perrone today told the Libya Herald in his first formal interview  that his country was interested in working with all parts of Libya, not just the western Libya. However there is the perception that Rome sees its key interests, both in terms of oil and gas supplies as well over the flow of migrants, as resting in the west of the country.

Italian troops are still based at Misrata airport where they have been deployed to guard an Italian army field hospital treating wounded Bunyan Marsous fighters. There has  been no indication of when these units might be withdrawn. All media attempts to get near the hospital have been stopped.

Khalifa Ghwell, the head of the resuscitated National Salvation Government last week demanded that Italian troops quit Libya.

Yesterday Minnitti stressed that Italy would ‘invest” in Libya’s security. “This does not only concern the security from terrorism and crime” he said, “We also want to contribute to strengthening the socio-economic security of the country.”

The Italian interior minister also spoke a partnership with Libya against terrorism.  “On this side of the Mediterranean” he said, “we are playing a fundamental role, when Daesh is on the defensive in Iraq and Syria, we have to build on this side of the region the conditions that will prevent a return of the terrorists and foreign fighters into our territories.”

The migrant deal, due to be signed in Rome in the coming weeks, is likely to cover more than simply the interdiction of asylum-seekers seeking to leave the Libyan coast. Minnitti said that Italy would help Libya fight smuggling “360 degrees” and this he said, would start with strengthening Libya’s southern borders.

Tags: featuredGhwellGuiseppe PerroneItalian embassyKajmanLibyaMaetigMohamed SialaSerraj

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Italy to help Libya prevent illegal migration, no repatriation says new ambassador Giuseppe Perrone

Italy to help Libya prevent illegal migration, no repatriation says new ambassador Giuseppe Perrone

GNA forms committee to review, prioritize stalled projects within 10 days – for 11 sectors

GNA forms committee to review, prioritize stalled projects within 10 days - for 11 sectors

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.