No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Any contract to rebuild Tripoli airport would be illegal: HoR member Salah Suhbi

bySami Zaptia
January 1, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Tripoli International Airport in flames in the summer of 2014 after it was destroyed by militia fighting (Photo: Social media).
Tripoli International Airport in flames in the summer of 2014 after it was destroyed by militia fighting (Photo: Social media).

London, 1 January 2017:

Any contract signed by the Libyan state to rebuild Tripoli International Airport (TIA) would be illegal and unconstitutional as it would not have followed the necessary due procedure, House of Representatives member for Rujban Salah Suhbi said.

Suhbi was referring to Government of National Accord (GNA) Transport Minister-designate Milad Matoog’s comments confirming that an Italian company will commence work on TIA early in 2017.

Matoog had made the statement speaking at a forum on the Libyan transport sector held in Tripoli last week organized by the Libyan African Aviation Holding Company – which owns both the main state airliners, Afriqiyah Airlines and Libyan Airlines.

RELATED POSTS

HoR Speaker Saleh cancels new import tax having previously claimed he had never agreed such a tax. Is Saleh’s position weakening? Report and analysis

HoR unofficial meeting proposes a new reform Roadmap to elect new leadership and amend internal regulations

Matoog gave no details on the rebuilding project of TIA nor on the alleged Italian construction company. Libya Herald’s request for further information on the Italian company from the Italian embassy based in Tunis have had no responses. Sources have told this paper that it was more likely that it was Italian individuals involved with the project rather than companies or a consortium.

In October last year an alleged consortium of Italian companies specializing in airports had visited the remains of the destroyed TIA, the Libyan Airports Authority (LAA), part of the Libyan Transport Ministry had reported. It did not name the consortium.

They had been accompanied on the TIA visit by the chairman of the LAA and the General Manager of TIA. The LAA had said that the consortium had conducted a field visit to conduct a survey of the site with a view to construct a passenger terminal and other amenities.

The LAA had said that the Italian consortium would present an offer for the reconstruction of TIA.

It will be recalled that TIA was destroyed during inter-militia fighting in summer 2014 when the GNC-Misratan-backed militia, Libya Dawn, attacked Zintani militias controlling the airport and totally destroying TIA.

Commenting on the alleged deal, House of Representatives member for Rujban Suhbi told this publication that ‘‘This is what corruption and pay offs look like. They have no right legally or constitutionally’’ to award this contract.

The GNA, he continued, ‘‘is a rejected cabinet by parliament (HoR), and even if so, when was the public tender for the TIA contract announced? When were the results received and transparency of the award process confirmed?’’

Suhbi then went on to accuse the Faiez Serraj Presidency Council and its Government of National Accord of being a criminally-supported thieves based in western Libya.

‘‘The Presidency Council and all the western criminals supporting it are ripping off what’s left of Libya’s money. They will all face legal action, local and international. They are thieves!’’

Tags: featuredHoR House of RepresentativesRujban HoR member Salah SuhbiTIA Tripoli Internatinoal Airport

Related Posts

Tripoli Chamber invites investment proposals for its buildings
Business

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

May 21, 2026
Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91
Business

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

May 21, 2026
Mitiga airport closure to continue due to militia fighting
Business

Airports Authority and Civil Aviation Authority review visual presentation by Spanish company Indra on Modern Aviation Technologies

May 21, 2026
Turkey agrees to reduce age range for Libyans requiring an entry visa
Business

Turkish institutions ready to contribute to implementation of joint Libyan marine sector projects: Turkish Ambassador Güven Beginç

May 21, 2026
Minister of Industry meets the Committee for Localisation of Oil Materials and Equipment Industry
Business

Minister of Industry and Minerals discusses with Chinese companies prospects for industrial and investment cooperation

May 21, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

May 20, 2026
Next Post
LNA has plan to release Ganfouda “hostages”

LNA has plan to release Ganfouda "hostages"

Confusion over Libyan victims in Istanbul nightclub massacre

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.