No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Presidency Council forces take Ben Jawad and Nufliya from LNA

byMichel Cousins
November 17, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Barghathi interview
Al-Mahdi Al-Barghathi (file photo)

Tripoli/Benghazi, 7 December 2016:

A military grouping said to be under the command of the Presidency Council’s acting defence minister Al-Mahdi Al-Barghathi and Ibrahim Jadhran are reported to have taken the small towns of Nufliya and Ben Jawad east of Sirte from forces loyal to the Libyan National Army (LNA). The latter are said to have withdrawn during the attack which took place early this morning, at around 3am, with some 150 armed vehicles allegedly involved.

Members of the Benghazi Defence Brigades (BDB) are also said to have taken part. However, reports that the oil terminals at Sidra and Ras Lanuf have also been taken are not true. Some reports speak of LNA aircraft subsequently attacking the forces, which apparently moved up from Jufra military base.

Nufliya, 140 kilometres east of Sirte was captured by the so-called Islamic State (IS) in February 2015 and Ben Jawad, another 20 kilometres further east, in January this year.  IS forces pulled out in June and the towns were taken by LNA-linked forces.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

At the beginning of last month the LNA claimed that Barghathi was mobilising forces at Jufra base between Waddan and Hun in order to retake the oilfields and terminals. It said that as a result it was reinforcing its presence at Ras Lanuf and Sidra a number of oilfields in Jufra district

At the time, however, Barghathi denied any such plans, saying that he had been in Jufra to assess whether the airbase could be used as the defence ministry’s headquarters. Presidency Council head Faiez Serraj similarly said on a visit to Jufra a fortnight later that the PC would not allow Jufra to become an area of conflict.

Officials from the east confirmed today’s attack but put a slant on it, with LNA spokesman Colonel Ahmed Mismari reported saying that the opposed forces were linked to Al-Qaeda. However, the commander of the Petroleum Facilities Guard in the area appointed by the LNA, Muftah Magarief, denied the reports of the attack.

He also said, though, that he had no news about the events.

Tags: Ben JawadLibyaNufliya

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Libya business networking forum cautiously optimistic

Libya business networking forum cautiously optimistic

Libya coastal towns earning millions from people trafficking says EU

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.