No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Jamal Zubia aims to sue government in the International Criminal Court

byNigel Ash
December 30, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Jamal Zubia aims to sue government in the International Criminal Court

A slimmer Jamal Zubia (in blue) after his release (Photo: social media)

By Libya Herald reporters.

A slimmer Jamal Zubia (in blue) after his release (Photo: social media)
A slimmer Jamal Zubia (in blue) after his release (Photo: social media)

Tripoli, 29 December 2016:

Jamal Zubia, the media boss for Khalifa Ghwell’s self-styled Government of National Salvation is seeking to sue the Presidency Council in the International Criminal Court over his four-month abduction in Tripoli during which he says he was tortured.

The controversial Zubia, head of the Ghwell’s foreign media department, is blaming PC chairman Faiez Serraj for his kidnapping in August. Besides his planned action in the ICC, Zubia says he has also brought a case against the government in a Tripoli court. On filing his legal suit in the capital, Zubia was supposed to have said:  “The crimes that were committed against me are against humanity and do not have a statute of limitations”.

Zubia was abducted in August when helping organise an anti-UNSMIL demonstration in Tripoli’s Martyrs’ Square. There was no reliable information about his whereabouts nor about who had seized him. At one point there were rumours that he had been killed.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

After his release on 26 November, Zubia went to Misrata, his home town where he gave a press conference on his ordeal.  It attracted limited media coverage. Tanasah TV, owned by Dar Al-Ifta head Sadek Al-Ghariani, carried Zubia’s accusation that the interior ministry, the Abu Sleem central security department which is run by Abdul Ghani Kikli (aka Ghneiwa) and Haithem Tajouri’s Tripoli Revolutionaries Brigade were all behind his kidnap. The TV channel also said that he had been held in Mitiga.

However, Zubia has since reportedly said that he was held in Tripoli’s Ain Zara prison run by Hashem Bishr, the former chief of the Supreme Security Committee (SSC). Bishr, Zubia added, had warned him not to speak publicly about his ordeal. He also claimed that when his abductors let him go, they did not give back his car, watch, smartphone, office keys or money he had when he was taken.

Zubia has announced that he is going to Manchester on 7 January to begin his ICC legal action.  He has long-standing connections in the northern British city and shortly before his kidnap had been in the UK for his son’s wedding.

The ICC is based in the Hague. Under the court’s founding Rome Statute it will prosecute cases which have not been properly pursued by the legal system in the country where alleged genocide, crimes against humanity or war crimes have taken place.

While Zubia seems unable to himself sue Libyans in the ICC, he may, however, be able to testify  to the court’s chief prosecutor, Fatou Bensouda, who has announced that she is collecting evidence of war crimes and crime against humanity in Libya.

 

Tags: featuredICCJamal ZubiaKidnapLibya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Misrata’s Third Force commander vows to stay in south as LNA orders it out

Snow in Jebel Akhdar shuts schools and public buildings while further power cuts in winter-hit Tripoli

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.