No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

IS continues killings as LNA claims offensive against Sirte ready

byMichel Cousins
May 2, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Tripoli, 1 May 2016:

The so-called Islamic State is reported to have executed by firing squad an army captain, . . .[restrict]named as Ahnaish Qaddafi, and two other soldiers, both bothers, as it tries to control public dissent in the town amid growing expectations of a military offensive being launched against it. Qaddafi is said to have been a leading member of the Qaddadfa tribe in the Abu Hadi district south of the town.

The two brothers have been named as Abuzeid and Hassan Al-Amari, from Soloug but captured by IS in Derna and then taken to Sirte.

It is also reported that IS has killed five people in Ben Jawad, east of Sirte, among them, on Saturday, two teenagers who were thrown from the roof of the highest building in the place. The reports have not been confirmed, however. Last week it was reported that IS forces had withdrawn from Ben Jawad.

RELATED POSTS

Atletico Madrid win Benghazi’s Reconstruction Cup after beating Inter Milan 4-3 on penalties – great political showpiece for Hafter

National Development Agency signs two strategic agreements with UAE’s Global Builders for Sirte projects

IS is meanwhile said to have heavily mined approaches to Sirte as well as locations inside in a bid to prevent either the Libyan National Army from entering from the east or Misratan forces from the west. IS has also been erecting sand barriers on the roads and there are unconfirmed reports that it has set up several more checkpoints around the town with the aim of preventing people from leaving. Many of the remaining residents are said to have fled the town in recent days ahead of expected attacks.

As to the plans by the LNA and the Miratans to separately launch offensives against Sirte, sources in Ajdabiya say that some LNA forces had arrived there but had not moved on.

Ajdabiya is supposed to be the operations centre for the LNA offensive.

Reports of an LNA air raid on an IS checkpoint west of Sirte cannot be confirmed.

For his part, LNA spokesman Ahmed Mismari speaking in Benghazi today said that the preparations for the attack were complete and it would take place “soon”. He claimed that procedures were now in place to secure the oilfields from IS attacks.  He added that Ibrahim Jadhran, Hafter’s main military rival in the east, had been replaced as head of the central region Petroleum Facilities Guard.

Mismari also denied that Hafter had gone to Egypt. The general was actively leading military operations in Libya, he said. Dismissing Thursday’s TV statement from the head of the Presidency Council, Faiez Serraj, he also said that the army took its orders purely from Hafter and the House of Representatives. [/restrict]

Tags: Islamic StateKhalifa HafterLibyaSirte

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post

Aswad demands Ageela organise HoR meeting in Tobruk on unity government as GNA supporters plan HoR session in Ghadames

25 soldiers died in Benghazi operations in April says Saiqa

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.