No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Ghat hospital in terminal decline: claim

byNigel Ash
January 15, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Ghat hospital in terminal decline: claim

Ghat hos[ital boss Rasul Mubarak (file photo)

By Mustafa Khalifa.

Ghat hospital boss Rasul Mubarak (file photo)
Ghat hospital boss Rasul Mubarak (file photo)

Ghat, 6 September 2015:

Ghat general hospital is once more in chaos and on the verge of collapse. Officials say . . .[restrict]that because of the departure of unpaid staff, coupled with the lack of fuel for emergency generators and the general absence of medications and basic medical supplies, the town’s hospital can barely manage the most limited demand.

People needing medical treatment are travelling the 1,400 kilometres to Tripoli. The obstetric clinic is closed and the hospital says it can no longer handle the most basic procedures, lacking plasma, needles, swabs and antiseptics.

Despite the arrival of inexperienced young volunteers seeking to help out, managers say that the hospital can no longer cope, especially with emergencies in the course of the night.

RELATED POSTS

Ghat-Ubari road project site officially handed over to Egyptian consortium

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Though Ghat itself is generally peaceful, hospital administrators say it has been isolated by fighting in Obari. Yet, it is unclear why conflict in Obari can stop medical supplies reaching Ghat while townsfolk needing treatment are able reach Tripoli.

Locals have told the Libya Herald that much of the blame lies with the hospital’s management led by Rasul Mohamed Mubarak, whom they say have lacked planning and failed to secure proper funding from central government.

Moreover, one major issue at the hospital is its extremely poor cleanliness.  Rectifying this requires nothing more specialised than a broom, a cloth, water and disinfectant. Yet nothing has been done to reverse the unhygienic conditions.

Ghat hospital last declared that it was in trouble in April when it said that its medical services were on the verge of collapse. The following month a medical team from Tripoli, mostly made up of dentists and ophthalmologists spent a week at the hospital, bringing with them with medical supplies.

Five months later, it seems that Ghat’s only medical centre is back in deep trouble.

 

LCDF support banner [/restrict]

Tags: closurefeaturedGhathospital.chaosLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Kidnapped army officer found dead

Benghazi takes further steps towards normality: university restarts

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.