No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UNSMIL’s Leon gives grim report to Security Council on eve of new talks

byNigel Ash
August 27, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
UNSMIL’s Leon gives grim report to Security Council on eve of new talks

Leon speaking to the UN Security council by video link

By Libya Herald staff.

Leon speaking to the UN Security council by video link
Leon speaking to the UN Security council by video link

Tunis, 27 August 2015:

After 15 months, military operations in Benghazi had settled into trench warfare with no sign . . .[restrict]an imminent end, UNSMIL chief, Bernardino Leon told the UN Security Council yesterday in a grim overall assessment of security and the collapsing Libyan economy.

Leon said that IS terrorists now controlled a 200 kilometre stretch of coastline. Only a unified government could combat them: “ The message to Libya’s leaders is clear: there is simply no other alternative to unified and collective action if Libyans are to successfully prevent a repeat of the catastrophic advances that Daesh has made in countries like Syria and Iraq”.

Leon also warned that Libya was running out of money.  “The economy continues to contract rapidly”, he said, “ the result of a significant reduction in oil revenues due to falling oil prices and low oil production”.

RELATED POSTS

“Building Libyan National Capacities in the Fields of Combating Corruption and Money Laundering 2025–2027” agreement signed between ACA and UNSMIL at Anti-Corruption event

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

The country was also heavily depleting its financial reserve, largely through what Leon called “non-productive items” by which he probably meant the continued payment of salaries and subsidies for fuel and bread.   Leon warned Security Council members that they should not underestimate the scale of the resources that would be required to assist a new unified national government “to pull Libya back from the brink of economic meltdown and total collapse of state institutions”.

Leon said that the military stalemate in Benghazi was taking a heavy toll on the civilian population and on whatever remained of the city’s much-damaged infrastructure. More than 100,000 of the city’s population had been displaced and seventy percent of its health facilities were either inaccessible or non-functional.

The position in the south of the country was he said “equally appalling. The absence of the state and of a proper functioning security apparatus has exacerbated local competition by tribal groups for power and resources, a conflict that has its roots in decades’ long marginalisation and neglect by central authorities”.

Leon described a grim backdrop of growing hardship and misery caused by collapsing security and general  lawlessness. Armed groups continued to abduct civilians because of their identity or opinions.

After seven months since the start of the UNSMIL-brokered dialogue, Leon said that he was increasingly confident that the process was “finally drawing to its final stages … despite repeated attempts by spoilers on all sides whose narrow interests and agendas dictate against a peaceful solution to the conflict in Libya”

Leon said that the talks had come a long way in narrowing ‘the trust deficit’. He believed that the concerns of the GNC which had kept it back from signing the Skirhat Accord could be addressed in the annexes to the agreement.

Though Leon was thought to be aiming to have a new unity government in place by around 15 September when the UN General Assembly next convenes, yesterday he said the key date was now 21 October, when under the Constitutional Declaration, the mandate of the House of Representatives would run out.

 

LCDF support banner [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLeonLibyareportSecurity CouncilUNSMIL

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Misrata releases 15 Tawerghans

Misrata releases 15 Tawerghans

Thinni tells Russians he needs arms and airstrikes against IS

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.