No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Government calls for Arab air strikes against IS in Sirte

byMichel Cousins
August 15, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Government calls for Arab air strikes against IS in Sirte

ISIS falg on Sirte billboard (Photo: Archives Social media)

By Libya Herald reporter.

ISIS falg on Sirte billboard (Photo: Social media)
ISIS flag on Sirte billboard (Photo: Social media)

Tripoli, 15 August 2015:

The Libyan government in Beida has called on Arab countries to carry out air strikes . . .[restrict]against Islamic State forces in Sirte, saying that because of the international arms ban it does not have the military capability to hit them.

Following IS’s brutal suppression of this week’s uprising the town, the government has asked for an extraordinary meeting of the Arab League on Tuesday to authorise action in Sirte. It cited the Arab states’ obligations to held defend a fellow League member under attack. The request, calling for the permanent ambassadors to the League to approve air strikes, was handed to the League’s secretariat today, the League’s Deputy Secrertary General, Ahmad Bin Helli, has said.

In a statement today condemning IS’ “heinous crimes” in the town’s residential district No. 3, including beheadings and other executions, the Thinni government also criticised the inaction of the international community over the IS attacks and its unwillingness to protect innocent civilians. It further called on friendly states to put pressure on the UN Security Council to lift the arms embargo.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Export Development Authority calls for Gulf of Sirte to be assigned as an international nature reserve

NDA’s 350-hectare Sirte Agricultural Project No. 87 reaches 80% completion – supporting food security and reducing dependence on imports

There appears to be growing Arab support for air strikes. Yesterday, following a phone call with Libyan Foreign Minister Mohamed Al-Dairi, the League’s Secretary General, Nabil Elaraby, called for Arab governments as well as the international community to agree on action to end the killings by IS in Libya.

There have been reports during the day of further airstrikes in Sirte. These are thought to be by the Libyan airforce.

Meanwhile, in today’s statement, the government said that it was focussing all its energies on providing safe corridors out of Sirte so that residents could be evacuated and the wounded treated, outside Libya if necessary.

 

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaSirte

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Tunisia condemns IS terrorism in Sirte, calls for Libyans to support Dialogue

Fewer Libyans in Tunisia than expected according to survey

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.