No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Dialogue talks in Geneva end; next session back in Skhirat

byMichel Cousins
August 13, 2015
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A
Dialogue talks in Geneva end; next session back in Skhirat

By Michel Cousins.

Dialoge geneva 1
Delgates at the Dialogue talks in Geneva (Photo: UNSMIL)

Geneva, 13 August 2015:

Two days of Libya Dialogue talks finished yesterday evening in Geneva in what was essentially a . . .[restrict]bid to bring the Tripoli-based General National Congress (GNC) back on board the UN-brokered peace negotiations. The GNC had boycotted the process for over a month because of objections to the Draft agreement presented by UN Special Envoy Bernardino Leon at the end of June. They initially centred on the Draft notably the powers of the proposed State Council, 90 of whose 120 members are to be drawn from the GNC.

The GNC’s objections now boils down to three points:

  • Decisions taken by the HoR since it began in August 2014;
  • The appointment by the Beida-based government of heads of parallel sovereign institutions, such as the National Oil Corporation and the Central Bank of Libya; and
  • The State Council.

The GNC had demanded that Leon agree to make changes to the Draft if it were to rejoin the Dialogue. This, he informed it, he could not do. The Draft had been approved by all the other delegates last month. But on Sunday, at the last minute, the GNC suddenly decided to send its team to the Geneva session, to see if it would rejoin the process. According to other delegates in Geneva yesterday, it had been given assurances by Leon that its concerns could be addressed in the annexes to the Draft, still to be worked out.

RELATED POSTS

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

The GNC team returns to Tripoli today, armed with a letter from Leon, to explain the situation and await a vote on whether it can rejoin the next set of talks, to be held again in the Moroccan resort of Skhirat.

These will work out and approve the annexes that will also contain the names of the new prime minister, two deputy prime ministers and other members of the government.

Leon has said that the whole process has to be finished by the end of the month.

Much of the talk last night among the delegates and the assembled entourage of advisers, UN officials and foreign ambassadors attending the Dialogue was whether the GNC would agree to return.

Most were optimistic. “The spoilers in Tripoli are loosing their power”, said one independent delegate, referring to those opposed to the Dialogue such as Abdurrahman Sehelhi, Salah Badi and Abdul Rauf Al-Manaie. “If they couldn’t stop them on Sunday [when the GNC voted to send its team to Geneva], they’re not going to stop them now.” He claimed that the majority of the GNC wanted to rejoin the process.

Others pointed out that the GNC had little option but to accept a return, even though many it members had been afraid for their own safety of agreeing to it.

“If they don’t turn up, we’ll get on with it,” another independent delegate told the Libya Herald. In any event, she added, “it will be done by the end of August”.

Others concurred. Having come this far, it would be good if the GNC remained in the process, but it would continue to decide on a government of national unity either with or without it. “The train will still leave if they don’t get on board,” said one adviser.

All agreed the atmosphere in Geneva had been extremely positive. Delegates were all at the same Royale Hotel and those from both the GNC and the House of Representatives could be seen sitting and talking together without animosity. Party political leaders were also there, including Mohamed Sawan of the Justice and Construction Party, Guma El-Gamaty of the Taghyeer Party and Abdulhakim Belhaj of the Nation Party.

This was noted in a statement about the talks from United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL). “The talks were held in a positive atmosphere, with the different parties emphasising the need to set aside partisan agendas and uphold Libya’s higher national interests,” it read, adding that “the parties expressed optimism that the dialogue process was approaching its final stages”.

The statement also referred to the main concern that many at the talks, and other observers, are now expressing – that it will be one thing to pull together a government of national unity but, given the security situation, another for it to go to Tripoli.

“The parties noted the need for urgent progress on the security track of the dialogue process, in parallel to the progress being made on the political front. In this regard, the different political leaderships present at the talks signalled that they would move to encourage relevant security actors to commence consultations with the United Nations Support Mission in Libya and provide their inputs on ways of operationalising the security arrangements outlined in the Libyan Political Agreement,” the statement read.

“The various military groups should have been brought into the process much earlier on,” one HoR delegate said, expressing fears that a military battle in Tripoli was inevitable.

Although formal discussion of who should be prime minister did not figure in the two days of talks in Geneva, various names for prime minister were being bandied around by those there. These included Ahmed Maetig (briefly prime minister designate in 2014), former prime minister Ali Zeidan, former communications minister Osama Siala, Aref Nayed (ambassador to the UAE), Shebani Abuhamouda (ambassador to France) and former NTC member Mohamed Al-Mnifi.

However, Leon is said to have told the HoR that the prime minister and one of the deputy prime ministers would be people that it approves of while the name of the other deputy prime minister would come from the GNC. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredGeneva dialogueLibyaUNSMIL

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

IS kills 38 in Sirte, threatens to use gas; HoR members call on international community for help

Sarir power station shuts down

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.