No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Both sides of Libya divide said to be making separate plans to attack Sirte

byMichel Cousins
August 16, 2015
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Tunis, 16 August 2015:

Both sides of the political divide in Libya appear to have been galvanized into action . . .[restrict]by IS’ repression of last week’s uprising in Sirte but there is no sign of any cooperation.

House of Representatives member for Sidra Saleh Fhaima told the Libya Herald that events in Sirte would be the main issue in tomorrow’s (Monday’s) sitting in Tobruk although there were also plans to discuss the planned national unity government. He also said that that following an HoR appeal to the army’s general staff for action, it was now preparing an attack force.

Meanwhile, the head of Sirte military police which supports the Tripoli-based Libya Dawn regime is reported saying that western units were now on the outskirts of Sirte and were awaiting orders to launch an offensive against the Islamic State (IS). This would happen, he claimed, within the next few days.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Export Development Authority calls for Gulf of Sirte to be assigned as an international nature reserve

NDA’s 350-hectare Sirte Agricultural Project No. 87 reaches 80% completion – supporting food security and reducing dependence on imports

For his part, Ibrahim Jadhran based in Ajdabiya has also called for action, but says that his forces have insufficient equipment to fight IS. Calling for more arms, he said that his men had just enough to protect the oilfields.

Today, there were reports of fresh air attacks in Sirte, hitting IS targets at the university and the municipal buildings. Sounds of heavy explosions were heard, although the outcome of the strike is not known.

On Tuesday, the Arab League is to meet to consider Libya’s demand for Arab airstrike against IS. The Libyan demand is said to be supported by Egypt following a meeting between Libyan Foreign Minister Mohamed Al-Dairi and his Egyptian counterpart Sameh Shoukry. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaSirte

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Western governments condemn IS attack in Sirte

Sudanese Islamist killed in Sirte fighting

Sudanese Islamist killed in Sirte fighting

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.