No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UNSMIL looks for the female take on the dialogue

byNigel Ash
August 23, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
UNSMIL looks for the female take on the dialogue

 By Libya Herald reporters. 

UNSMIL chief Bernardino Leon opens the two-day Women's meeting

Tunis, 22 April 2015:

After what was another carefully planned UNSMIL consultative exercise, women activists and group members wrapped up a two-day meeting in Tunis today.

The forty participants had been been drawn from all over Libya and represented all views in the political spectrum.  Their job was to review, from a women’s perspective, the draft emerging from the latest dialogue meetings the Moroccan resort of Skhirat.

RELATED POSTS

‘Mini-Meeting’ discusses first two steps of Libya’s UN Roadmap in its first meeting in Rome

UNSMIL calls for immediate release of political activist Mahdi Abdelati – arrested in Misrata

The political divisions became evident in the final wash-up discussion this evening at the Carthage Thalasso in the Tunisian suburb of Gammarth.  Among points of contention was a proposal in the draft that the army be “constructed”.  There were protests that army already existed and that the word ought to be “reconstructed”.

While at one point, two disputants appeared close to coming to blows, the rest of the meeting applauded when Magda Al-Sanussi, UNSMIL’S director of women’s empowerment, took a microphone and reminded everyone that they were there to focus on issues that affected women, not the finer political points.

“Do not get into politics and forget the women’s issues” she warned. Women had to argue their own case because men would not argue it for them. Debating anything else was pointless, “You are just wasting your time:” she said “This is about affirmative action”.

Among the issues on which there was general agreement was the injustice of Libyan women losing their entitlements if they married a foreigner.

The last part of the two-day meeting brought together the three break-out groups that had looked respectively at the parts of the dialogue draft detailing the government and the document’s preamble; confidence-building measures and finally, security.

UNSMIL officials had handed out the current draft of the agreement reached at the latest sessions of the dialogue in Morocco.

Sanussi said that the women who had attended had wanted women’s issues to be included on the draft, as part of a process of fine-tuning. “It was a difficult process but we have this new product and we should be happy with this achievement”.

She said the delegates should give themselves a round of applause, because what they have done was really unusual. The delegates applauded.

LCDF support banner

[/restrict] [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaMagda SanussiUNSMILwomen

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post
After Jordan, Hafter talks with UAE about military support

After Jordan, Hafter talks with UAE about military support

Justice minister says many prisoners charged with terror offences are foreign nationals

Justice minister says many prisoners charged with terror offences are foreign nationals

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.