No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tarhouna family slaughtered in revenge for LNA Tarhouna attack

byMichel Cousins
April 19, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Tripoli, 23 March 2015:

A Tarhouna family were reported murdered today and their home set ablaze in an apparent . . .[restrict]act of revenge by a suspected group of Libya Dawn supporters for this morning’s air strike in the town by the Libyan National Army (LNA).

The home of Abu-Ajilah Habshi was attacked and four, possibly as many as eight, members of his family murdered, including his son Azam and his brother. The attackers are said to have cut of the hands of his daughter Manal who then died as a result. His wife was badly beaten. It is not known if she survived.

Habshi, who came out in support of the revolution at the very beginning, was commander of the Awfeya brigade which he formed in Benghazi after fleeing from Tarhouna, at the time a strong centre of support for the Qaddafi regime. He was kidnapped on 1 July 2012 on Tripoli’s Airport Road. It was thought at the time that he had been seized by former Qaddafi supporters. There have since been allegations that he was taken to the prison at Mitiga airbase but these have not been substantiated. He is now assumed to be dead.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The town’s Marghani family, led by Salah Marghani, are now being accused of the Habshi massacre. Salah is said to now be a hardline Islamist although before and during the revolution the family were reported as being firm supporters of the Qaddafi regime. They switched sides and then came out in favour of Libya Dawn, allegedly because their links with local religious leaders.

The Marghani were reportedly involved in murderous clashes before. In November last year they were said to have attacked another local family, the Nahajis, whom the Marghani accused of opposing Libya Dawn.

In today’s attack, the Habshi was supposedly accused of giving coordinates to the LNA for the airstrike.

In the event, the airstrike appears to have been a failure, although the commander of the Libyan Air Force Saqr Geroushi, announced a militants’ camp in the town ahd been hit. The LNA’s spokesman, Colonel Ahmed Masmari was more specific. “LNA also carried out an airstrike on the Tabeeb Company in Tarhouna this morning. The company [compound] is now used as ammunition store and training base for Libya Dawn,” he stated. US Ambassador Deborah Jones also initially tweeted that eight Tawerghans had died in it.  She later said the figures had been based on reports from sources.

According to Tarhouna Municipal Council spokesman Mohamed Sayed Tarhouni, however, the area hit was an open space near a camp for displaced Tawerghans and that there were no casualties. Military officials claimed that anti-aircraft fire had forced the plane to change course. Foreign journalists visiting the site confirmed that there were no casualties.

The Beida-based Libyan government has condemned the Habshi killings as did Ambassador Jones. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaLibya DawnTarhouna

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post

Algeria seeks to broker peace between Obari Tuareg and Tebu

UNSMIL's Leon blocked at Tobruk airport from Salah meeting

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.