No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Heavy fighting continues at Sidra; UNSMIL condemns Operation Sunrise attack

byMichel Cousins
February 4, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Jamal Adel.

Kufra, 4 February 2015:

Fighting has continued today at Sidra between forces from Libya Dawn’s Operation Sunrise, who are trying . . .[restrict]to seize the oil terminal, and the Central Petroleum Facilities Guard (PFG) backed by Libyan National Army’s air power. According to Misratan sources, five Misratans were killed today in the clashes.

The spokesperson for the Central PFG, Ali Al-Hassi, denied reports that the terminal had fallen to Sunrise fighters. “I refute this allegation,” he told the Libya Herald. “We’re still in control of Sidra port and we will defend the facility from any intruder.”  Sunrise forces, he said, were still based at Ben Jawad but they were strongly armed.

Yesterday saw some of the fiercest fighting yet in the area since Operation Sunrise first launched its assault in mid-December.

RELATED POSTS

The first Libyan Bosnian Business Forum held in Misrata deemed an economic turning point between the two countries

Libyan – Bosnian Business Forum – to be held from 29 to 30 March in Misrata

At least 24 fighters died, 18 Misratans on Sunrise’s side according to the Misratan sources, and six members of the Central PFG, according to Al-Hassi. He disclosed that 23 other PFG members had been wounded yesterday.

Colonel Ahmed Mismari, the spokesman for the Chief of Staff, who said that Operation Dignity had launched a three-pronged attack on Sidra yesterday, has claimed that its forces suffered 34 dead and 48 wounded.

It has not been possible to confirm the figures.

For its part, the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has “strongly” condemned Operation Sunrise for yesterday’s attack on Sidra.

“The attack constitutes a major break in the public pledges made by the main commanders to refrain from actions that could harm the political process at a time when the Libyan parties are working intensively to build bridges of cooperation that will contribute to a peaceful resolution of the conflict in Libya,” said today. “This attack also undermines efforts to reach a political solution and endangers the oil resources that belong to the Libyan people.”

The majority of Libyans want peace and stability, UNSMIL said, urging armed groups to comply with their commitment sto a ceasefire “and to disengage their forces as proof of their commitment to the political process”.

Less than three weeks ago, a major component of Operation Sunrise, the Misrata-based Central Libya Shield force, announced that it would join the ceasefire. [/restrict]

Tags: Ben JawadLibyaMisrataOperation SunriseShorouqSidra

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Reconstituted Congress choses new First Deputy President

Reconstituted Congress choses new First Deputy President

Tunis clinic brawl ends in six Libyan arrests and three emergency room visits

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.