No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

LNA launches major attack on Benghazi’s Laithi district

bythomwestcott
December 23, 2014
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
LNA launches major attack on Benghazi’s Laithi district

By Maha Suliman and Adam Ali.

Leithi battlefield
The battlefield in Leithi showing Ansar Al-Sharia areas in black and army in blue. (Image: the Libya Herald)

Benghazi, 22 December 2014:

Heavy fighting in Benghazi’s Leithi district has left at least three dead, possibly . . .[restrict]seven, after the Libyan National Army (LNA) this morning launched a major assault on the area, which is described as a stronghold of Ansar Al-Sharia.

An army source from inside the area stated that three were dead and 30 injured from the LNA’s side. However, Hawari Hospital which is open only for emergencies has said that it had received the bodies of four LNA soldiers killed in the fighting in Leithi. It named them as Mustafa Saleh Teka, Ahmad Ageela,  Saleh Makhlouf and Belgassem Mohamed El-Faitouri.  It also said it was treating 28 wounded LNA men .

It was believed that Ansar Al-Sharia had also sustained heavy losses.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The area, long-viewed by the army as an Ansar Al-Sharia stronghold, has been surrounded by LNA forces for around a month. However, today’s operation, which reportedly started in the early hours of the morning, is being described by local people as one of the biggest offensives since fighting started in October.

One local resident said that all roads to Leithi had been sealed off by LNA units and anyone attempting to use side-roads, even to access other areas of the city, were being turned back. “I saw large numbers of the army entering Leithi, with guns and vehicles,” he said. “It looked like they were preparing for a big battle.”

A resident in a nearby area said that the sound of heavy gunfire and shelling had been heard all morning and into the afternoon. He added that the sound of a drone could also now be heard, monitoring the area. [/restrict]

Tags: AnsarattackfeaturedLeithiLibya

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Turkish Airlines boosts Libya services to two daily passenger flights

Turkish Airlines boosts Libya services to two daily passenger flights

Jordan reinforces military links with Thinni government and LNA

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.