No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya Dawn forces abandon Tunisia border post as LNA cuts coastal road

byMichel Cousins
December 14, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Houda Mzioudet.

The Ras Jedir crossing from the Tunisian side
The Ras Jedir crossing from the Tunisian side (Photo: archive)

Tunis, 14 December 2014:

Libya Dawn guards at the Ras Jedir crossing on the Libyan-Tunisian border have fled across into . . .[restrict]Tunisian territory and some to Zuwara. Although Libya Dawn insist they still contol it, a Tunisian border post official confirmed the news to the Libya Herald, saying that the Libyan border guards were just inside Tunisia beyond the border post.

The border is now reported to have been closed by the Tunisians while the clashes continue.

According to the head of the LNA air force, Saqr Adam Geroushi, the LNA is now in control of Ras Jedir. However, video footage purportedly shot early this morning shows the Libyan post deserted, with travellers walking past unchallenged by anyone.

RELATED POSTS

Libya and Italy discuss establishment of the Libyan Italian Vocational Training Centre in Zuwara

Four Zuwara Coast Guard officials detained for illegal immigration activity

The Tunisian official also said that there had been fighting in the Abu Khammash area as well as at the last security checkpoint on the Libyan coastal road, some ten kilometres east of the border. The checkpoint was now in the hands of the LNA, he stated. Other reports have confirmed the fighting in which two men from Zuwara and one from Misrata are said to have been killed.  Geroushi claims that in the fighting in the area several senior military figures from Misrata along with a significant number of fighters had surrendered.

On the Tunisia side of the border in Zarzis and Ben Guerdane, residents reported hearing “a huge explosion” on the Libya side.

Libya Dawlia TV  is also reporting LNA air raids this morning between Zultan and south of Sabratha. There are reports too of air strikes near Ras Jedir and Zuwara as well as of LNA Zintani forces taking full control of Zultan and of nearby Abu Khammash.

If true, it would mean that the LNA Zintani units have now achieved their strategic objective of blocking of the main coastal road between Tunisia and the capital.

The situation at Ras Jadir had been unclear for much of the past week. Three days ago, the LNA forces claimed to have taken it, posting a photo of one of its soldiers at the border post.  However, until yesterday the post was widely reported to be still in the hands of Libya Dawn guards from Zuwara and the photo may have been taken quickly and illicitly for propaganda purposes.

Last week, the Tunisian Deputy Interior Minister told this newspaper that the border would not close unless the Libyans closed it. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaLibya DawnLNARas JedirTunisiaZintanZuwara

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Hassi congratulates Sidra attackers

Hassi congratulates Sidra attackers

Tripoli university dean badly hurt in attack

Tripoli university dean badly hurt in attack

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.