No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Leon and Ageela Salah “agree” Ghadames II dialogue outside Libya: HoR member

byMichel Cousins
December 23, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

23 December 2014:

It is reported that UN Special Envoy Bernardino Leon and the President of the House of . . .[restrict]Representatives (HoR), Ageela Salah Gwaider, agreed yesterday that the talks in the second stage of dialogue between the various factions in the Libya crisis should take place outside the country.  Writing in his Facebook page, Benghazi HoR member Tariq Al-Geroushi –  known to be very close to Gwaider as well as to those running Operation Dignity – also said that there was agreement between the two that the next round could take on 10 January.

Leon was in Tobruk yesterday in a bid to save the dialogue between the main parties in the Libya crisis from total collapse.

Despite the relative success of the first UN-brokered dialogue at the end of September between attending and boycotting members of the HoR in Ghadames, efforts to draw together individuals representing both the HoR and the Thinni government on one side and Libya Dawn and the Omar Al-Hassi “government” in Tripoli on the other have dragged on without success. As a result, the planned meeting between the two sides has been postponed twice with arguments over who should attend and where the talks take place. It was reported that there was agreement on Awjila near Jalu, but this appears to have broken down.  Both sides are said to be opposed to meeting anywhere they consider controlled by the other.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

There has been no official statement from either the HoR or UNSMIL about what was discussed at yesterday’s meeting. However, Geroushi, whose father heads Operation Dignity’s air force, has also said that it was agreed that the dialogue would include members of civil society organisation as well as the mayors of town and cities directly related to the crisis, such as Misrata and Zintan. It would also include representatives of the HoR, of which four have been chosen. Geroushi made no mention of the Tripoli-based General National Congress although Leon has already made it clear that it too would send representatives.

Geroushi did state, however, that it had been agreed that no militia commanders or “militants” would be invited.

The latter terminology may pose a problem because although Leon has declared that there will be no negotiations with Ansar Al-Sharia, many members of the HoR (Gwaider included) as well as the Thinni government, view Libya Dawn and its supporters as militants. The organisation has been labeled as “terrorists” by them.

Geroushi also indicated that the meeting did not go entirely smoothly and that Gwaider rejected a proposal from Leon that a government of national unity be appointed with members from both the Thinni administration and Hassi one in Tripoli.

Abdullah Al-Thinni was himself in Tobruk today for talks with Ageela on the latest developments with the UN. [/restrict]

Tags: Ageela SalahHouse of RepresentativesLibyaUN Special Envoy Bernardino Leon

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

CBL says use of National ID Numbers key to cutting state deficit

Ansar behead army captive as port blaze casts pall over Benghazi

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.