No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Italian Ambassador in Zuwara to say “Thank You”

byNewsdesk1
November 24, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Italian Ambassador in Zuwara to say “Thank You”

By Libya Herald staff.

Buccino
Italian Ambassador Giuseppe Maria Grimaldi Buccino visits Zuwara (Photo: Libya Herald Staff)

Tripoli, 23 November 2014:

Italian Ambassador to Libya Giuseppe Maria Buccino Grimaldi paid a visit to Zuwara Saturday to . . .[restrict]thank local representatives for their efforts in the release of Italian engineer Marco Vallisa, who was abducted in the town in July.

Before visiting the port, airport and hospital, the ambassador met with the local council.

During the meeting, Grimaldi said he was grateful for the council’s help, which he described as “essential”.

RELATED POSTS

Libya and Italy discuss establishment of the Libyan Italian Vocational Training Centre in Zuwara

Four Zuwara Coast Guard officials detained for illegal immigration activity

A Libyan national from Zuwara who played a role in the negotiations for Vallisa’s release explained to the Libya Herald that one of the kidnappers  had been arrested on the very day of the abduction wen he presented a false ID at a checkpoint .

“He was a Tunisian with a criminal record. Once we had him in custody, we were able to get crucial information from him regarding the group that had detained Vallisa,” he said.

Grimaldi said that Vallisa’s freedom would improve Libya’s image in Italy and Europe. “I will be honest; the current situation is very difficult. Libya has a terrible image abroad, yet it is a priority of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs”.

Speaking of the future, the ambassador focused on two main issues. First, he emphasized the fact that Libya must “resume political dialogue” in order to end the fighting. “We want to help you in this,” he said.

He went on to address illegal migration, which is of deep concern to the Zuwara authorities. “130,000 illegal migrants have arrived in Italy by boat since January 2014. This is a significant increase in comparison to last year,” Buccino said. It has been reported that 62,000 migrants reached Italy by boat in 2011.

Speaking about the Lampedusa tragedy in October, Grimaldi said: “This type of tragedy is unacceptable. For this reason, we have created the “Mare Nostrum Operation”. It has finally been replaced by a European mission, as our border is not only an Italian one but a European one as well.”

Hafad Ben Sasi, the head of Zuwara local council shared the same concern. “We have been working on this issue for years. There have been talks between the Libyan and Italian governments. Unfortunately, we have not seen any change on the ground. We would prefer to tackle the issue directly between the Zuwara local government and the Italian government because we are currently unable to communicate with the Libyan government.”

“Relationships with local governments are important. It’s possible to create partnerships between Italian and Libyan cities, however, the Italian government and the Zuwara local council cannot work as equal partners…unless you manage to make Zuwara the new “Singapore” in Libya,” Grimaldi replied with a smile. [/restrict]

Tags: BuccinofeaturedItalykidnappingLibyaMarco VallisaMare NostrumZuwara

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Army controls "80 percent of Benghazi" but fighting continues

Government-aligned Tebu forces win control of the Tendi Mountain

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benina Airport installs first-ever ILS/DME Navigational Aids System by Spain’s Sky Navigation Systems

Sirte Oil Company completes drilling of horizontal well C345H in the Ziltan field with production rate of 2,000 barrels per day

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.