No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

LHRS: Libyan government could have prevented Benghazi bloodshed

byNewsdesk1
September 30, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 30 September 2014:

The Libyan government has misled and misinformed the people regarding Benghazi assassinations, Libyan Human Rights . . .[restrict]Solidarity (LHRS) has claimed. The organisation said that if the government had investigated incidents from the beginning, as it claimed it had, it would have been possible to stop this bloodshed. The lack of prosecution has opened the door for individuals and groups to commit more crimes because they have felt immune to prosecution and punishment, LHRS says.

According to a report by the civil society organisation, the security situation in Benghazi had reached its lowest point during September 2014 and particularly during the last week, when 30 Libyan citizens—both military and civilian—were assassinated and four wounded during assassination attempts. In fact, according to the report, there have been about 200 assassinations since summer 2012 in Benghazi alone, and not one investigation has been opened.

In addition to this, dozens have died in clashes near Benina Airport and shipping has been disrupted because the Benghazi port has been under the threat of bombing.

RELATED POSTS

Libya Development and Reconstruction Fund signs ”strategic agreements” with ”several large” US Companies

Libya Development and Reconstruction Fund signs contract with Turkey’s Ankamenia for maintenance of Benghazi University’s medical colleges

There is a real risk of humanitarian disaster if no action is taken to address the situation in Benghazi, LHRS says.

“This cannot be considered simply as negligence or an error or an underestimation of the situation. This is a serious failure that clearly could be considered as a crime against the people, and this cannot be tolerated,” said activist and human rights researcher at LHRS, Giumma Al-Omami.

The LHRS has called on the Libyan authorities to impose an immediate ceasefire, but the President of LHRS, Khaled Alagily, has little faith that it will happen without outside intervention.

“Given the serious deterioration, the inability of local authorities and the authorities in Tripoli, due to the political strife, and the rejection of Khalifa Hafter of the cease-fire as a result of the support he is receiving from the Tobruk-based parliament, the only means we have is to go to the Committee of Experts of the Security Council of the United Nations . . . We will also send the same reports to the International Criminal Court.”

  [/restrict]

Tags: Benghazi assassinationsHafterInternational Criminal CourtLHRSLibyaUN

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Libyan poet wins substantial US fellowship

Libyan poet wins substantial US fellowship

Clashes continue in Sebha despite ceasefire

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.