No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

“Government of National Salvation” says Libyan-Egyptian treaty in violation of national sovereignty

byNewsdesk1
September 18, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ashraf Abdulwahab

Tripoli, 18 September 2014:

The Tripoli-based Omar Al-Hassi “government” appointed by the  former General National Congress (GNC), which now calls itself . . .[restrict]the “Government of National Salvation,” has condemned a supposed five-year military agreement with Egypt agreed by the House of Representatives (HoR), It says it considers it to be a threat to Libya’s national sovereignty.

In a statement on Tuesday it added that such an agreement would pose a “significant risk” to Libya’s national security and “open the door” for foreign interference. It also claimed that the HoR did not have the authority to make agreements “of this kind”.

Such an agreement was, moreover, a “betrayal of the blood of the martyrs”, and would not serve the common interests of the two nations, it declared.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Railroads signs MoU with Chinese BFI Consortium for rail line to Egypt

23 flights of international aid from 12 states arrive in Libya within 24 hours – government asks UN to coordinate effort

The House of Representatives had already denied having made any such treaty with Egypt.

Ignoring this,  the Hassi government statement insisted the terms of the agreement were contrary to the provisions of the Convention on Joint Arab Defence which created the foundations of military cooperation between the Arab countries. Its terms were also contrary to the provisions of Aricle No. 14 of the Treaty of the Arab Maghreb Union, which states that an attack on one member state is considered to be an attack on all other members.

“The Libyan people have expressed its wishes for no foreign intervention clearly through mass demonstrations in cities throughout Libya,” the statement insisted.

The “Government of National Salvation” told Egypt and its army to stay out of Libya, stressing that the Libyan people would respond to any external aggression.

Libya Dawn and the Ministry of Defence of the Government of National Salvation would be ready to secure all Libyan cities, the statement declared, especially Tripoli and Benghazi. The “government” was also prepared to secure the entire coast in order to prevent illegal migration to Europe, it further promised.

Referring to the recent airstrikes over Tripoli which have been blamed on the UAE with Egyptian support, Hassi said that “we are determined to continue along the path laid out by the revolution, remaining loyal to the blood of the martyrs—defending the national sovereignty of Libyan soil”.

“The penetration of Libyan airspace is an infringement upon Libya’s sovereignty and blatant interference in its internal affairs,” he added.

  [/restrict]

Tags: Egyptforeign interventionGovernment of National SalvationHassiHoRLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

House of Representatives member says official dismissal of Grand Mufti imminent

Brother of human rights activist Farida Allaghi survives Tripoli attack, friend slain

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.