No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Congress plans emergency session on foreign intervention

byMichel Cousins
July 23, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ashraf Abdul-Wahab.

Tripoli 22 July 2014:

The President of Congress, Nuri Abu Sahmain, plans to convene an emergency session today to debate . . .[restrict]the request by the government to the UN for support in dealing with the security situation in Libya.

Abu Sahmain has issued a statement saying that foreign intervention is unacceptable to the Libyan people and a major issue of contention between him and Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni.

For its part, however, the government has said that it is not asking for foreign forces to head to Libya to deal with the security situation. Last week, Foreign Minister Mohamed Abdulaziz told the United Nations Security Council in New York that what the government wanted was a UN team to train the country’s defence and police forces so that they could protect the oil fields and terminals, airports and other important locations. It did not want foreign troops, he stressed.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Given that clarification, Abu Sahmain’ summoning of Congress is being seen as simply a disingenuous attempt to attack a government that it tried but failed to remove. Despite the clashes in Tripoli between Qaqaa and Sawaq Brigades from Zintan and forces from Misrata led by former Congressman Salah Badi, Congress was not summonsed to debate them. Likewise, it has said little about the two months of fighting in Benghazi between the Operation Dignity forces led by retired Major General Khalifa Haftar and Ansar Al-Sharia and its allies.

It is thought unlikely there will enough members present today to constitute a quorum. Although there are flights between Labraq and the capital’s Mitiga airbase, a month ago, when some members tired to fly to Tripoi, they were physically prevented from doing so at Labraq.

The session will therefore probably end up as being merely consultative.

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: General National CongressLibya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Opinion: House of Reps has one main task: dominate the officially recognised but uncontrolled militias

Japanese diplomats and businessmen leave because of security situation

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.