No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

GNC group calls on Abu Sahmain to resign

bythomwestcott
April 7, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald Staff.

Tripoli, 7 April 2014:

A group of 30 members of the General National Congress (GNC) has demanded the resignation . . .[restrict]of Congress head Nuri Abu Sahmain, over leaked video footage relating to an incident earlier this year.

The video shows Abu Sahmain being interrogated by an unknown person and admitting that two women visited his home one evening in January. Both he and the GNC denied the incident and Abu Sahmain’s alleged arrest at the time.

In the televised statement aired yesterday, the 30-strong group said that Abu Sahmain had lost the confidence of the Libyan people after lying about the events of that night. They insisted that, if he did not resign, Congress would consider relieving him of his duties.

RELATED POSTS

Libya buys two new oil tankers – part of its 2020-23 development plan

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

The group also claimed that Abu Sahmain had overstepped his jurisdiction when he threatened federalists occupying eastern oil ports with a military offensive.

A source at the GNC, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the Libya Herald that, because of the incident, some members felt that decisions made by Abu Sahmain no longer carried any authority.

Some Congress members felt so strongly about this they had boycotted recent sittings headed by Abu Sahmain, he added.

The Attorney General ordered an investigation into the incident, and the release of the video footage, the day after this was circulated on the internet.

This announcement, however, was then somewhat overshadowed by the Attoney General’s controversial decision to release three Libyans who allegedly forced rogue oil tanker the Morning Glory to sail into international waters loaded with a shipment of illicitly-obtained oil at gunpoint. [/restrict]

Tags: attorney generalblockaded oil portsGeneral National CongressGNCLibyaMorning GloryNuri Abu Sahmainoil export terminalsOil tanker

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

Lufthansa and Austrian stop flying to Libya

LIA presents its 2013 annual report to Audit Bureau

LIA presents its 2013 annual report to Audit Bureau

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.