No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 25, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya’s international allies hold roundtable in support of free media

bySami Zaptia
February 17, 2014
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A
Libya’s international allies hold roundtable in support of free media

Libya's friends and allies hold a press conference to express concern at attacks on Libya's media (Photo: Sami Zaptia).

By Sami Zaptia.

Libya's friends and allies hold a press conference to express concern at attacks on Libya's media (Photo: Sami Zaptia).
Libya’s international friends and allies as well as members of Libyan media hold a press conference to express concern at attacks on Libya’s media (Photo: Sami Zaptia).

Tripoli, 17 February 2014:

Diplomatic representatives of countries of the European Union, the US, the European Union Delegation to Libya . . .[restrict]and UNSMIL met at a media roundtable with various representatives of Libyan media yesterday at the Radisson hotel Tripoli.

The meeting attended by representatives from the UK, US, Holland, Italy, Spain, Germany, Bulgaria, Poland, Greece, Hungary and the Czech Republic comes on the back of increased kidnappings of members of the media as well as attacks on offices of TV channels in Tripoli and Benghazi.

The latest examples are the attack on the privately-owned Al-Asema TV HQ in Tripoli last week.

RELATED POSTS

Democracy is the only way forward for Libya: Aldabaiba to Libyan youth

UNDP Libya organises workshop for media officers from 17 municipalities in the East, South and West of Libya

This followed the Al-Asema TV’s recent decision to withdraw its staff from Benghazi following threats of violence and the suspected kidnapping of its Benghazi office director, Mohammed Al-Sarayit, who has disappeared in mysterious circumstances. A few days earlier, the Libya Al-Ahrar TV station office was also attacked in Benghazi.

The editor of Tarablus Newspaper was abducted outside a cafe close to Tripoli’s Mahari Radisson Blu Hotel two weeks ago. Three journalists for Al-Wataniya TV and two associates were also abducted on Sunday on the capital’s airport road.

Furthermore, last week, the GNC passed an amendment to the penal code, (Law No (5) 2014) which criminalized insulting the GNC, the government or judicial institutions. It also criminalized any action which could harm or prejudice the 17 February Revolution and made insulting the Libyan flag or the state logo a crime.

Leading human rights activists Lawyers for Justice in Libya (LFJL) had condemned the law last week. “This law is in direct conflict with freedom of expression provisions guaranteed by the Libyan Interim Constitutional Declaration and international human rights conventions to which Libya is a party,” LFJL said.

It expressed concern that such arbitrary restrictions to freedom of expression would have a detrimental effect on government accountability and result in the further curtailment of Libyan rights.

“The right to freedom of expression promotes the application of other human rights and helps improve government accountability,” said LFJL director Elham Saudi. “The right becomes worthless if it only protects certain forms of political expression deemed acceptable.”

She added that the criminalisation of critical expression was an extremely radical measure that was completely out of step with democratic values and Libya’s international law obligations.

Freedom of expression was an essential principle for the creation of a democratic society and to ensure the promotion and protection of other human rights, LFJL said.

“It is saddening that the GNC has failed to recognise this fundamental democratic right,” Saudi said. “We strongly urge them to reconsider these amendments.”

At yesterday’s media roundtable both members of Libya’s media and Libya’s allies echoed LFJL’s sentiment. It was noted that freedom of speech was at the heart of Libya’s February 17th Revolution, as prescribed by the Transitional Constitutional Declaration of August 2011 – the current social contract and political roadmap of Libya.

Libya’s allies underlined that they have and are willing to play a role in supporting Libya’s free media. British ambassador Michael Aron said that Britain “was concerned by the attacks on Libyan media over the last few months”. He added that Libya’s friends “wanted to hear from Libyan media as well as wanting to express their concern and support”.

US ambassador Deborah Jones noted the importance former US president Jefferson attached to freedom of speech and referred to Law No. (5) as “imprecise”. She added that “free speech is something that we all can and must rally behind”.

Representatives of Libya’s media noted that security was the paramount prerequisite for a free media, but agreed to the shortcomings that exist within the new independent media. The new Libyan media was nascent, lacking experience and a track record as a result of 42 years of suppression under the Qaddafi dictatorship, they noted.

The Libyan state in the form of the government and GNC had to improve their media output in terms of quality and quantity, it was felt. All government departments must start to play a more sophisticated role in terms of dealing with the modern-day 24 hour media. They had to be proactive, filling the media void and setting the daily news agenda. At the simplest of levels, the authorities had to be on call to confirm or deny breaking news and rumours to the media to avoid inaccurate information becoming news.

Nevertheless, Libya’s newborn media too had to accept its share of blame and responsibility by implementing a code of ethics and standards of professionalism. Equally, freedom of speech also meant accepting limitations and control on what is expressed. Libya’s new media had to exercise self-control in respect for freedom of speech.

It was noted that there is no culture of respecting the opposing view in Libya and that a culture of suspicion between the state, media and the public existed.

In conclusion, the roundtable agreed to five main takeaways from the  meeting. First it was agreed that any legislation on the media sector should be arrived at through adequate consultation and consensus between the stakeholders.

Secondly it was agreed that competition within the sector was desirable in a democratic setting both between the state and the private sector, but also between the private sector itself.

Thirdly it was felt that within the sector healthy competition should be conducted in an honourable manner with professionalism, ethics and standards and mutual respect at its heart.

Fourthly, the post 17th February Revolution media sector in Libya should abandon the inherited culture of censorship and rumours.

Ultimately, it was greed that there could be no real free and viable media sector functioning in a democratic Libya without the state providing a secure environment away from the fear of threats, intimidation, kidnappings and assassinations. [/restrict]

Tags: democracyfeaturedfreedom of speechjournalistsmediaTV

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
International community offers congratulations on the anniversary of the 17 February Revolution

International community offers congratulations on the anniversary of the 17 February Revolution

Tebus announce boycott of Constitutional Committee elections; Tuareg split

Top Stories

  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.