No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi tense as Shield commander’s home torched following Barghathi’s assassination

byMichel Cousins
October 12, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Benghazi tense as Shield commander’s home torched following Barghathi’s assassination

Masked guards in Benghazi's Leithie district this evening

By Ahmed Elumami and Maha Ellawati.

Masked guards in Benghazi's Leithie district this evening
Masked guards in Benghazi’s Leithi district this evening

Benghazi, 18 October 2013:

The family home of Wissam Ben Hamid in the Benghazi suburb of Kuwafiyah . . .[restrict]was attacked and set on fire this afternoon by members of the Barghathi tribe who accused him of responsibility for the assassination this morning of Colonel Ahmed Mustafa Al-Barghathi, head of the military police.

“Four or five carloads of men came to Wissam’s house,” said an associate of Ben Hamid. “They fired RPGs and then they escaped. But pictures were taken and it is known who they are.”

It was then widely reported on social media sites that the attackers planned to move on to the homes of four other military commanders in the city­: Ahmed Bukhattalah, Libya Shield commander Ismail Salabi, Ziad Belam, head of the Omar Mukhtar Brigade, and Bukah Laraibi who commands the brigade which protects the Kuwafiyah prison. All are regarded as Islamist.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

Firing was heard all over the city during the evening, but there were no reports of direct clashes between the Barghathis and their supporters on the one side and the followers of the brigade leaders on the other.

However, masked guards were seen outside Bukhatallah’s house in the city’s Leithi district.  Some of them were reported on social media sites to be dressed in Afghan style. There were also said to be 4×4 vehicles deployed belonging to Libya Shield No. 1 Brigade. It was further reported that black Al-Qaeda flags were seen flying in the district.

A relative of Salabi told the Libya Herald that he had been to Salabi’s house and there were also men with guns there to protect it but he thought that there would not be any clashes.  “Things are quiet now,” he said.  In any event, he noted, it would be difficult for anyone to attack Bukhattalah’s or Salabi’s homes.  Unlike Ben Hamid’s family home in Kuwaifiyah, an area which he said was controlled by the Barghathis, the two houses were in narrow streets and surrounded by the homes of friends and supporters.

Reports that reinforcements from Derna were heading to the city in support of Bukhattalah and the other brigade leaders are said to have resulted in other tribes allied to the Barghathis setting up road blocks to prevent stop them.

There is a history of animosity between Ben Hamid, who heads the Libya Shield No.1 Brigade, and the Barghathis. In June, members of the Barghathi tribe were prominent among those who marched to the brigade’s base in Kuwafiyah demanding its closure. The protest then degenerated into clashes in which 32 people were shot dead. The brigade was widely blamed for the killings.

Charges were filed in Washington against Bukhattalah in August accusing him of involvement in the assault on 11 September last year on the US diplomatic compound in Benghazi which resulted in the death of US Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other American staff. [/restrict]

Tags: Ahmed BukhattalahBenghazifeaturedIsmail SalabiLibya

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post
Libya Shield commander denies murder, vows revenge for torched family home

Libya Shield commander denies murder, vows revenge for torched family home

Benghazi security spokesman "has not resigned"

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.