No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

GECOL struggles to keep the lights on

byNigel Ash
August 30, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Ashraf Abdul Wahab and Seraj Essul.

Tripoli, 29 August 2013:

Parts of Libya are being hit by waves of power cuts. Large areas of . . .[restrict]Tripoli were today without power for several hours.  In Sebha locals complained that they have been suffering three-hour cuts every day and further south, the outages reportedly lasted for up to five hours.

One angry Sebha resident, Alhousain Mohamed, told the Libya Herald that  in his view it was not just state power supplier GECOL that was to blame for the cuts. “You have people with their lights and air-conditioning on throughout the day and they don’t pay their electricity bills”. He added that Sebha’s problems had not been helped by a firefight on Wednesday, which had resulted in damage to a  local transformer.

People living in and around Zawia, within site of the country’s largest power station, the 1440MW combined cycle plant outside the town,  were themselves hit by power cuts. One resident, who asked not to be named, said that the electricity was failing four or five times every day, but rarely for longer than an hour at any one time.

RELATED POSTS

Presidency Council Head commits to transparency, disclosure, oversight – cutting off system of bribery, brokerage, and unregulated spending

Zawia airport construction starts – under the NDA and to be implemented by a Turkish company

Though despite repeated attempts, GECOL could not be reached today  for comment, it seems that the Zawia generating sets can no longer run full time, because the pipeline that brings their fuel, has been blocked, supposedly by Zintanis, protesting Libya’s security and political situation.

With the Tripoli West  (350MW) and South  (500MW) power stations and the West Mountain (624MW), along with two power plants at Khoms together producing 1,000MW, the west of the country has an installed generating capacity of some 3,900MW, out of Libya’s total notional power production of 5,270MW.

APR’s mobile generators at Samanu Station (Photo: GECOL)

US temporary power supply company APR  last month finished connecting up 250MW of temporary extra capacity to the 50MW Furnaj power station. The dual-fuel generators would, said Electricity Minister Ali Muhairig, give enough power, unless the temperature went over 45C.

According to GECOL figures the Tripoli and Tripoli West regions  of the country account for just over half of all national power consumption, with Benghazi using less than 15 percent.

As temperatures climbed today to new summer highs, tempers were hardly less hot. Perhaps that was why GECOL chose the current power failures as the moment to give some idea of the challenges it faces. The company said that it had suffered material losses of over LD1 billion through theft and vandalism and the refusal of customers to pay their bills. It added that the stealing of valuable copper wiring  and damage to local transformers was responsible for some interruptions in the electricity supply. [/restrict]

Tags: GECOLLibyapower cutsZawia

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post

Italian firm set to double infrastructure contract in the east

Malta could help Libya harness tourism potential

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.