No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Zuetina oil fields and port still closed by protests

bythomwestcott
July 15, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Tom Westcott and Seraj Essul.

Tripoli, 15 July 2013:

Oil production and export remain at a standstill for the Zuetina Oil Company, . . .[restrict]as protests at the oil fields and export terminal enter a third week.

“Workers are still protesting in both the fields and at the port,” a spokesperson for Zuetina told the Libya Herald today. “Even if the port workers don’t protest, there will be no exports because the strikes in the fields have stopped production.”

He said that disgruntled employees were seeking to remove the current management. The strikers, however, say their demands also include holiday pay and wage increases to reflect the high-risk nature of their jobs.

RELATED POSTS

Libya and Austria discuss possibility of holding economic forum

Turkish trade delegation to visit Libya this April

“About six months ago we had the same strike,” one protestor said, “and the company asked us to wait three months, promising they would sort out all the problems, but they have done nothing.”

The company’s lack of action had, he said, sparked this latest wave of protests.

However, Tripoli-based Zuetina employee Ahmed Alshereef told the Libya Herald that the protestors’ demands were not legitimate because they had already been met. “They don’t want to negotiate, they want to get everything by force,” he said, “they are just a few people, and only represent themselves, they do not represent the whole country.”

The strikes are having a knock-on effect on Libya’s power supplies. At yesterday’s Prime Minister’s press conference, Ali Zeidan, Electricity Minister Ali Mohammed Muhairiq and Oil Minister, Abdulbari Al-Arusi all condemned the ongoing protests in the strongest terms, saying the strikers only cared about themselves and their wages.

The protests are also being blamed for the country’s recent power cuts. The shortage of fuel to run the Libya’s oil and gas power station is, Muhairiq said, effectively cancelling out the extra power generated by the new portable units that he had promised would put an end to Ramadan power cuts.

The Zuetina spokesman said the protestors were in talks with Muhairiq and Al-Arusi. Gas production has now restarted but oil production has not. [/restrict]

Tags: BusinessLibyaoiloil productionoil terminalpower cutsprotestsstrike

Related Posts

NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

February 16, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

February 16, 2026
Minister of Industry meets the Committee for Localisation of Oil Materials and Equipment Industry
Business

Ministry of Industry exploring establishing two-million-ton annual capacity “environmentally friendly” cement plant with China’s Goodwill Ceramic

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
Tripoli based Military Industries Organisation opens “Libyan Inventor” office
Business

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

February 15, 2026
HoR condemns Serraj’s foreign intervention call
Business

Economic diversification conference held in Benghazi by HoR and CBL

February 15, 2026
Next Post

Captured Libyan border guards released by Algeria

New Islamic Affairs minister spent years in Qaddafi jails

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.