No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Libyan Rail Authority meets Chinese about restarting projects

bySami Zaptia
June 24, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Libya awaiting Chinese team for railway talks

The Chinese Rail Construction Company held talks with Libya's Rail Implementation Authority las week.

By Sami Zaptia

The Chinese Rail Construction Company held talks with Libya’s Rail Implementation Authority last week.

Tripoli, 22 June 2013:

 

The Libya Rail Implementation Authority and the China Railway Construction Corporation (CRCC) met last Wednesday to . . .[restrict]discuss ways in which to reactivate  stalled rail projects, LANA reports.

The Chinese company has contracts to build various lengths of the railway from Tripoli to the Tunisian border of Ras Jdair and Tripoli  to Khoms, Sirte and Al-Hisha-Sebha.

RELATED POSTS

Railroads Libya hosts Tunisian engineering firm

Libya’s Railroad Authority tests old locomotive and 10 KM track from Khoms Port to Khoms station

No details have been released on the outcome of the meeting. However, it was revealed that an attempt is being made to reach a framework agreement that would enable the reactivation of these projects.

Sources at the Rail Implementation Authority told LANA that the meeting was as a result of the decision by the Libyan government to press ahead with  the rail projects.

That decision was revealed on 26 February  this year by Transport Minister Abdel-Qader Ahmed . He disclosed  that he had already had talks with the Russians  abt restarting  their contracts.

Libya’s US$12 billion railway scheme was split between Russian Railways (RZhD), tasked with building the line between Sirte and Benghazi, and the China Railway Construction Corporation (CRCC).

The Chinese were awarded a contract in 2008 to build the line from Sirte to Khoms and then on to the Tunisian border at Ras Jedir. The Chinese also won the contract to build the 800-kilometre line between Misrata and Wadi Shatti near Sebha.

The railways project, which was thought to have been mothballed after the revolution, is now also being actively supported by Congress. In February, GNC spokesman, Omar Hemidan, said that it had tasked its Communications and Transportation Committee to choose a president and vice-president for the railways implementation project.

Despite wanting to revive it, the transport minister warned the Russians and Chinese in February not to increase their original contract prices by claiming for compensation for the two-year delay, during which costs of construction materials significantly increased.

He said that Libya would pay the companies 50 percent of what they were owed if they restarted work again under the original terms, with the rest of the fees being paid in two further 25-percent tranches.

The same offer has been made to Chinese, Turkish and other companies involved in building housing and other projects, providing they drop compensation claims. However, most have refused.

According to the minister, there is a Plan B if the Russians and Chinese refuse the railway offer. There is an alternative project with the Italians still on the table, he said, using Italian funds agreed as part of the 2006 US$5 billion compensation deal for the Italian colonialisation of Libya, agreed between Qaddafi and former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi. [/restrict]

Tags: ChineseCRCCItalianQaddafirailRussianSilvio Berlusconi

Related Posts

Tripoli based Military Industries Organisation opens “Libyan Inventor” office
Business

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

February 20, 2026
Economy Ministry creating e-regulations website for registering companies
Business

One-Stop Shop system for company registration to be activated – again!

February 20, 2026
71 commercial vessels were received by the Julyana Free Zone Port in August
Business

Julyana Free Port meet high-level British delegation visiting Benghazi

February 20, 2026
Misrata Chamber of Commerce holds meeting with companies to discuss HoR’s new tax bill
Business

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba relaunches construction of Tripoli Gate’s Zumurrud Shopping Mall on Airport Road
Business

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

February 18, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Next Post
New US ambassador socialises with Libyans in Tripoli café

New US ambassador socialises with Libyans in Tripoli café

Tawerghans reject Zeidan’s appeal not to return home

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.