No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

No Chad rebels in Libya and no Chadian incursion either: Zeidan

byNigel Ash
May 6, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

Tripoli, 5 May 2013:

The Zeidan government appears to have been stung by claims from Chad’s  President Idriss Deby, that . . .[restrict]Libya is actively harbouring and training terrorists intent on threatening Chad. It will have been no less pleased by the assertion in Paris last week from Niger’s foreign minister Mohamed Bazoum  that Libya was a “major international terrorist base ” for Islamists attacking his country.

Bazoum’s comments will have been all the more vexing because the Niger politician only just stopped short of urging foreign intervention in the “lawless south of the country”.

In recent days there have been persistent reports that Chadian army units had penetrated 100 kilometres into Libya and were near Kufra, supposedly in search of insurgents. Premier Ali Zeidan has denied both Chad’s claims and the presence of the Chadian force on Libyan soil.

RELATED POSTS

Transport Minister and Undersecretary of Defence visit Chad capital N’Djamena to discuss direct flights, border security and illegal migration

Tripoli Transport Minister seeking to activate Transit Roads to Niger and Sudan

His rejection was backed up by the Kufra airforce base commander, Muftah Abdali who said yesterday that fighters had scoured the region and found no sign of any Chadian column.  Despite these denials, there has been a report that a heavily-armed column has left Zintan for the Chad border to confront the supposed incursion.

While meeting his French counterpart, Laurent Fabius, Niger’s foreign minister said that the French intervention in Mali had driven Islamist terrorists onto Libya soil where they had established bases.

“We always thought there were two areas that needed to be dealt with: Mali and Libya,” Bazoum told Reuters, “Mali has been settled, but Libya is far from being resolved, and today we think Libya is one of the biggest international terrorism bases.”

Here in Tripoli, the Justice and Construction Party (JCP) has strongly rejected the accusation and called on the government to respond “with diplomatic measures” to the provocative statement from Niger. Relations between the two governments remain strained because of Niger’s reluctance to extradite Saadi Qaddafi ,who has sought refuge in the capital Niamey.

A JCP spokesman warned that though Libya was seeking international help in boosting border security, this did not mean that outside countries could infringe on its sovereignty.

Meanwhile, the headof Murzuq military council Baraka Wardako said in an interview with Libya TV that  there was no substance to allegations that the south west of Libya had become a hub for Islamists. He said that there were no Islamist factions training in the desert, which in any event was patrolled by revolutionaries who are based there. [/restrict]

Tags: Chadchadian columnIslamistsLibyaniger

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post
Libya still at risk from the plunder and smuggling of antiquities

Libya still at risk from the plunder and smuggling of antiquities

Opinion: My 2 Cents: Economic recovery in Libya - Thoughts about social and economic reintegration of armed groups

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.