No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 25, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

HRW calls on Libya to stop revenge “crimes” against Tawerghans, wants UN sanctions against those involved


byMichel Cousins
March 20, 2013
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

Tripoli, 20 March 2013:

The New York-based human rights organization Human Rights Watch (HRW) has described the treatment of people from Tawargha . . .[restrict]a “crime against humanity” and has called on the UN Security Council to condemn it.

It had demanded the Libyan government to take urgent steps to stop “serious and ongoing human rights violations against Tawerghans”, who it says are widely viewed as having supported Muammar Qaddafi during the 2011 revolution. It also wants the Security Council to demand that the government report within three month on how it is fulfilling its responsibility to protect its population “from mass atrocities”.

Additionally, it wants the Council to impose sanctions against Libyan officials who ordered crimes against the Tawerghans or did nothing to stop them. Many Tawerghans, it said, had been captured and killed by militias since the revolution.

“The forced displacement of roughly 40,000 people, arbitrary detentions, torture and killings are widespread, systematic and sufficiently organized to be crimes against humanity and should be condemned by the United Nations Security Council,” HRW said in a statement issued today, Wednesday.

RELATED POSTS

The first Libyan Bosnian Business Forum held in Misrata deemed an economic turning point between the two countries

Libyan – Bosnian Business Forum – to be held from 29 to 30 March in Misrata

It added that newly released satellite imagery analysis showed the systematic destruction of large swaths of the town by arson and targeted demolitions after the fighting there had stopped in mid-2011, in an apparent attempt to prevent Tawerghans from returning home.

The town which was used as a Qaddafi strategic support base in the siege of Misrata during the revolution was bombed by NATO forces. However, its systematic destruction largely took place during August 2011 when the population fled.

“Successive governments in Tripoli and local authorities in Misrata have failed to stop the ongoing persecution of an entire community and the destruction of the town,” said Fred Abrahams, special advisor at Human Rights Watch. “This leaves a dark stain on the reputation of a new Libya that claims to respect human rights.”

Armed groups from Misrata  were responsible for most of the abuses, said HRW – a claim that HRW made last year and which Misrata officials have rejected.

“These groups accuse Tawerghans of having fought with or supported pro-Qaddafi forces during the 2011 conflict, and of committing war crimes in Misrata. The Libyan government and Misrata authorities have been unable to rein in these abusive armed groups.?Militia commanders and senior officials in Misrata could be held criminally responsible by domestic and international courts, including the International Criminal Court in The Hague, for ordering these crimes, or for failing to prevent them or to punish the attackers.”

It pointed out that in her last report to the UN Security Council in November 2012, the ICC chief prosecutor said her office was continuing to collect information about allegations of “killings, looting, property destruction, and forced displacement by Misrata militias” of Tawerghans to determine whether a new case should address these allegations.

“The Libyan authorities should also investigate individual Tawerghans accused of committing serious crimes during the 2011 conflict,” it said,  “including alleged rapes and unlawful killings in Misrata and, if there is evidence of a crime, prosecute them to the full extent of the law.”

HRW also focused its attack on those that states that had supported the revolution, accusing them of double standards. “Foreign governments that intervened militarily in Libya under a UN Security Council resolution to protect civilians forcefully condemned violations by the Gaddafi government but have failed to challenge effectively the ongoing abuses against Tawerghans and others”, it said.

HRW called on the government and the authorities in Misrata “including militia commanders” to condemn attacks against Tawerghans and other displaced communities and to allow the voluntary return of people who wish to go home.

“The authorities should charge or release detainees based on the evidence, investigate allegations of torture and abuse of Tawerghan detainees, and investigate the widespread arson and property destruction.”

HRW has regularly alleged that Misrata-based militias are responsible for human rights crimes against the Tawerghans and other supporters of the Qaddafi regime, as have other organisations, including Amnesty International and the Libyan human rights defence group Lawyers for Justice in Libya.

When it voted to extend the mandate of the UN Special Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) last week, the UN Security Council specifically called on Libya to protect human rights, to comply with international human rights law and to hold accountable anyone responsible for serious violations of international human rights law.

At his press conference yesterday, Prime Minister Ali Zeidan, said that Libyans had to  respect other’s people’s rights.

Three weeks ago Deputy Prime Minister Awad Barasi said that the government intended to ensure that people who fled their homes during or after the revolution, or were driven out, can return home.

The full text of the HRW report is here. [/restrict]

Tags: Human Rights WatchLibyaMisrataTawerghaUN

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Libyan human rights group calls for Khatabi to be released

New LD 20 note in circulation at end of month

New LD 20 note in circulation at end of month

Top Stories

  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.