No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Another Sufi mosque attacked

byMichel Cousins
August 25, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

Tripoli, 25 August:

Another mosque has . . .[restrict]been vandalised by Salafists. The Sidi Sha’ab Mosque opposite the Mahari Radisson Blu hotel overlooking Tripoli harbour was attacked around dawn this morning, Saturday.  It appears that heavy equipment was brought in to smash the shrine of Sidi Sha’ab which is housed in the mosque, an important Sufi teaching centre.

There are reports also that a Sufi mosque in Misrata was also attacked this morning.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba proposes new Road Map for holding elections, loans and land for youth and money for healthcare for war wounded

Cooperation agreements reached between Libyan and the Greek pharmaceutical and medical companies: Tripoli Chamber of Commerce

The scene later this  morning at the Sidi Sha’ab mosque was startling.  There were lots of police, SSC and other officials blocking the road in front while a massive digger was smashing the building.  Apparently, this was said to be preventive — to stop it from being attacked further.

This is not the first attack on the mosque. An attempt earlier this year to destroy the shrine resulted in a demonstration outside the Mahari hotel and security forces being brought in to protect the tomb.

The shrijne before being attacked (Photo: Sohail Nakhooda)

On Thursday night, the shrine of Sidi Abdul-Salam Al-Asmar Al-Fituri in Zliten was also destroyed by Salafists.

Umar Khan writes from Zliten

The (Zliten) mosque has been badly damaged. The dome in the main square was also destroyed.

The conflict between Zlitenis and the Awlad Al-Shaikh tribe, who are said to be descendants of Abdul-Salam Al-Asmar, started at Eid but escalated on Thursday. That is when heavy fighting started. The whole area from the beginning of Zliten (on the Tripoli side) up to the shrine is bullet ridden — 14.5mm and above. There were tank shells in the main square.

There was an attempt to exhume the body but those involved did not found anything till four metres down.

The overnight explosions were so loud that it brought back memories of NATO bombing.  Two mortars fell in Wadi Qaam, around 600 meters west of where I was camping. A petrol station was destroyed in the same area.

There were tanks stationed on the checkpoints all the way from Zliten to Tripoli.

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: featured

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post

Tripoli's Al-Sha'ab shrine demolished

Libyan authorities admit security units penetrated by Qaddafi supporters

Libyan authorities admit security units penetrated by Qaddafi supporters

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Industry exploring establishing two-million-ton annual capacity “environmentally friendly” cement plant with China’s Goodwill Ceramic

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.