No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Fighting in Mizdah; 19 dead.

byMichel Cousins
June 13, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tripoli: 12 June:

Heavy fighting has been taking place all day, Tuesday, around the town of Mizdah between forces from Zintan and . . .[restrict]members of the Mashasha tribe. At least 19 people are reported to have died.

There has been growing hostility in recent months between the Zintanis who played a prominent role in last year’s revolution and the Mashasha who did not support it. Last December, there were clashes in which four people died.

The present fight started yesterday when the Mashasha stopped a Zintan military contingent heading to Sebha at a makeshift road block near Mizdah.  In the ensuing conflict, one Zintani, who has been named as Muftah Ibrahim Al-Ramah, was shot dead and two others injured.  They were taken to the local government hospital in Mizdah.

Both sides then started to gather their forces and look for allies. The Mizdah and the Al-Qantrar tribes came out in support of Zintan while Twarghans from Hun and elsewhere are said to have driven over to support the Mashasha .

RELATED POSTS

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

In a last-minute attempt to avert clashes, a Zintani delegation went to negotiate with Mashasha elders this morning, demanding that Ramah’s body be handed over. The Mashasha refused. It is claimed that some Mashasha then went to the hospital and killed the two injured Zintanis,. However, there is no confirmation of this.

In the ensuing fighting in which both side used heavy weapons, it is reported that eight members of the Mashasha tribe, seven people from Zintan and two from Al-Qantrar were killed and 15 people wounded.

Mohamed Al-Sudani from the Mizdah hospital said that three bodies had been brought in and that three injured had been taken to Gharian hospital. An administrator at the latter, Omar Akiz, was reported by Reuters saying that two bodies had been brought in but that they had not been identified. “We have six injured”, he said.

Deputy Interior Minister Omar Khadrawi has been sent by the government to Mizdah to try to organise a ceasefire.

“There is still tension,” Khadrawi is reported as saying before leaving for Mizdah.  He added that efforts were being made to contain the conflict and that investigations were underway to determine the causes of what had happened and its background.

The clashes are said to have damaged an electricity station and as a result there are power cuts in the area.  A local source also said that no supplies or help had come from the Ministry of Health. According to the Libyan news agency WAL, phone lines have also been cut and the fighting forced some families in Mizdah to leave the town.

There have been frantic appeals by locals to the government to put an end to the fighting. [/restrict]

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post
Video footage reportedly identifies assailants in attack on British ambassador

Video footage reportedly identifies assailants in attack on British ambassador

"Salafists" target women's beauty parlour in Benghazi

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.