No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libyan ambassador torture death

byNigel Ash
February 3, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Libyan ambassador torture death

Interior ministry police are reportedly holding a suspect who has confessed to torturing to death a former Libyan ambassador to France.

The . . .[restrict]diplomat Dr Omar Brebesh died less than 24 hours after going voluntarily to the Al-Shuhada Ashura brigade at their base in the Crimea district in south Tripoli for investigation. According to his son Ziad, Brebesh arrived there at 5.30pm on January 19. The following day, Brebesh’s corpse turned up at a hospital in Zintan.

Another son, Mohammed went to the hospital and described what he found: “I saw his face. There was blood on his nose and mouth. But I didn’t see the rest of his body from the other side. There was a bump on his forehead. After that, I kissed him and that was that. Later when we saw the other side of his face at the hospital in Tripoli, it looked like his jaw was broken, like his face was not in the right place”.

The family took photographs of the body which they have since passed to Human Rights Watch, to whom they also gave a preliminary autopsy report. This showed the body had received multiple injuries.

The organisation reports that the pictures show welts, cuts, extensive abdominal bruising, leg lacerations, a large wound on the sole of the left foot and the apparent removal of toenails. It concludes that Brebesh was tortured extensively before his death.

RELATED POSTS

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Brebesh who was 62, served in the Libyan embassy in Paris for four years until 2008, first as cultural attaché and then, for his final nine months, as ambassador. He returned to work in Tripoli at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, where he was serving in the legal department at the time of his death.

Ziad Brebesh said that his father had been called to the Al-Shohada Ashura by Commander Khalid Al-Blehzi. Ziad went with him and drank tea after his father had been led into an interrogation room. Within an hour, the young man was taken by militiamen to the family home where a firearm and a vehicle were confiscated. When Ziad tried to return to the militia base later that night, he was not allowed to see his father. The following day the family again visited the base and learned that Brebesh was dead and that his body was in the Zintan hospital.

Sarah Leah Whitson, the Middle East and North Africa Director at Human Rights Watch said:
“The Libyan government should send a message that it will not tolerate torture and vigilante justice. The rule of law and the punishment of crimes apply to all Libyans, including those who fought against Muammar Gaddafi.

“The torture and killing of detainees is sadly an ongoing activity by some Libyan militias. These abusive militias will keep torturing people until they are held to account. Libya’s leaders should show the political will to prosecute people who commit serious crimes, regardless of their role in the uprising.

Human Rights Watch reports that prosecutors in Zintan have opened an investigation into Brebesh;s death and has demanded that the process should be speedy and independent.”Anyone found responsible should be punished to the full extent of the law”. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Benghazi Business team to visit Tunisia

AU appoints Special Representative to Libya

AU appoints Special Representative to Libya

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.