No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tripoli-Zawia road remains shut despite threats from militants and mediation by elders

byMichel Cousins
August 22, 2016
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Moutaz Mathi and Ajnadin Mustafa.

Tripoli, 21 August 2016:

The crisis over the coast road linking Tripoli to Zawia, closed several months ago by Wirshefana militiamen, shows no sign of ending despite efforts to mediate a solution by local elders and threats by Islamist militants in Zawia to use force to reopen it.

The crisis started last week when Zawia’s militant commander Abu Obeida Al-Zawi announced that he was going to take action against what he called Wirshefana “bandits” and reopen the road. Heading the Islamist Mohamed Kilani Brigade, he is supported in this by an assortment of other militants who call themselves the “Revolutionaries’ Operations Room”. They include Benghazi hardliner Wisam Ben Hamid who is now based in Zawia.

Yesterday, there were fears the militants would launch an offensive against the Wirshefana with bloody consequences.

RELATED POSTS

Presidency Council Head commits to transparency, disclosure, oversight – cutting off system of bribery, brokerage, and unregulated spending

Zawia airport construction starts – under the NDA and to be implemented by a Turkish company

In the event, the militants contented themselves with a military show of strength in Zawia involving some 100 armed vehicles. On the other side, in the Wirshefana area, armed factions, notably the Abdulhamid Al-Hamali Brigade, have rearmed and mobilised. There have been sporadic outbreaks of shooting between both sides, although no full-scale fighting so far.

Meanwhile, responding to the militants’ threat, elders from the two communities as well as from the Jebel Nafusa have been trying to mediate a solution to the road closure. Saturday saw a meeting in the Wirshefana town of Zahra of mediators including members of the Wershafana-Zawia reconciliation committee. But despite an announcement today from the mayor of Maya (which is in the Wirshefana area) that the road would be reopened before next Sunday because Wirshefana demands have been accepted, there is no sign of any breakthrough.

It is reported that there will be another meeting to bring about reconciliation and reopen the road, but also not till next Sunday, and strangely in the town of Musaid on the Egyptian border.

In the unlikely event of Wirshefana and Zawia negotiators actually going to Musaid, it is still unlikely that they will be able to bring about the reopening of the coastal road.

The problem is that those in the two communities who want a settlement are not the ones causing the problem.

While the Wirshefana political establishment supports the Thinni administration based in the east and the Libyan National Army led by Khalifa Hafter, those who have closed the road near Camp 27, the major military barracks between Zawia and the Wirshefana area, are freelance militias beyond the control of either the Wirshefana military Council or the LNA. During Ramadan, the LNA, announcing that it was not responsible for the road closure, described those involved as gangs.

For their part, Abu Obeida Al-Zawi and the militants will have nothing to do with anyone from the Wirshefana and are said to have rejected any deal with them. A spokesperson for the Mohamed Kilani Brigade yesterday said that all peaceful attempts to negotiate with those blocking the road had been exhausted and that the military solution was the only option.

In the capital, the fear is that that Abu Obeida and Wissam Ben Hamid are using the road closure issue as a stepping stone to build up support and then to move to Tripoli to try to take it over.

For that reason, there are those there saying that the Misratans will not allow the road to reopen because they do not want the militants arriving, and that they have already been in contact with the Wirshefana who have closed the road to make sure it stays closed.

Meanwhile in a separate development in Zawia, the town’s other perennial problem, the bitter rivalry between the Khadrawi and Ahneish families has again resulted in clashes between their respective militias. The fighting started after an alleged assassination attempt on Ibrahim Ahneish in the town’s Gamal Abdul Nasser Street.

Note: We originally stated that the meeting on 28 April would be in Shihat rather than Musaid. We were misinformed. We apologise for the mistake.

Tags: LibyaZawia

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post
Philippines’ diplomat visits Tripoli health ministry

Philippines' diplomat visits Tripoli health ministry

Pro-GNA HoR members to lobby Egyptian parliament

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.