No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

EU navies get green light to tackle arms smugglers

byNigel Ash
June 21, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

Massive blast destroys "arms smuggling boat" (social media screen grab)
“Arms smuggling boat” destroyed last year off Benghazi (social media screen grab)

Tripoli, 20 June 2016:

EU naval forces have been given the final clearance to intercept arms smugglers off the Libyan coast in an extension of their  year-long Operation Sophia campaign against people-traffickers.

The European Council meeting today in Brussels merely said afterwards that, beside helping training the Libyan coastguard and navy, it would be “contributing to the implementation of the UN arms embargo on the high seas off the coast of Libya”.

The EU has thus not only extended by another year the EUNAFOR MED Operation Sophia but expanded its mandate. Brussels says that EU ships have already  been responsible for the rescue of at least 16,000 migrants.

RELATED POSTS

First joint Italian Libyan company to export fish to European markets launched

Libya will not bear burdens of illegal immigration alone or be settlement area: Interior Minister Trabelsi

There are at least five EU warships already engaged against the people smuggling operation. The EU says that in the last 12 months, it has arrested 71 suspected smugglers and “neutralised”139 vessels.

Those arrested have been transferred to Italy for trial.  They include an Eritrean, alleged to be a key people-trafficker known as “The General”.  The suspect was apprehended in Khartoum last month, extradited to Rome two weeks ago and named as Madhanie Yehdego Mered. However there are claims of mistaken identity. Relatives of a jobless carpenter, Medhanie Tesfamariam Berhe, say that he is the man who was seized in a coffee shop in the Sudanese capital.

It is being reported that more EU warships are likely to be sent to offshore Libya. Since the main contributors – Britain, France, Germany and Italy – are also members of NATO, it seems certain that there will be close cooperation against the arms smugglers.

After its decision today, which followed  last week’s approval by the UN Security Council, the European Council explained that interdicting the supply of illegal weapons would produce a more secure and stable Libya. This in turn would help the country disrupt  human trafficking and smuggling networks.

The EU ships now have the power to stop and inspect any suspect vessel but only on the high seas. Brussels made a point of saying that no naval vessels would operate inside Libyan territorial waters, unless authorised by the Government of National Accord.  This is a moot point. EU vessels from the Sophia operation, which is run from Rome by Italian Rear Admiral Credendino, are understood to have frequently been rescuing migrants in craft that were stranded well within Libya waters. No protests have come from Tripoli.

The coastal movement of men and weaponry from Misrata or Sirte to Benghazi has established supply lines that have only rarely been attacked successfully, principally by aircraft from east. The April destruction of two vessels  beside the docks of the Libyan Iron and Steel Company ( LISCO) has never been satisfactorily explained.  They were alleged to have been running weapons and fighters to the Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council and to have been sunk by limpet mines.

Tags: arms smugglersEUfeaturedLibyapeople smugglersSophia

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Without a quorum, HoR holds consultative meeting

Benghazi without water following power cuts to Soloug reservoir; Tripoli in fourth day of water shortages

Benghazi without water following power cuts to Soloug reservoir; Tripoli in fourth day of water shortages

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.