No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Kobler warns GNA spoilers “Enough is enough”

byNigel Ash
March 3, 2016
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Kobler warns GNA spoilers “Enough is enough”

UNSMIL chief Martin Kobler at the UN today (Photo: UN)

By Libya Herald reporters.

UNSMIL chief Martin Kobler at the UN today (Photo: UN)
UNSMIL chief Martin Kobler at the UN today (Photo: UN)

Tunis, 2 March 2016:

The peace process, desired by most Libyans is being stymied by a few selfish political . . .[restrict]actors who now had to be told that enough was enough, UNSMIL chief Martin Kobler reported to the UN Security Council in New York today.

“Both in eastern and western Libya” said Kobler, “there are those who are committed to do everything in their power to undermine the political process, as well as the formation of a Government of National Accord and its instalment in the capital”.

He continued: “These actors must be told in no uncertain terms that enough is enough.  It is hight time that they stand by the interests of the Libyan people, not against them”.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Kobler said that the House of Representatives had accepted the Libyan Political Accord in principle. However, he did not refer to the key sticking point, supplementary Article 8 which stipulates that the control of all senior military, civil and security posts would be transferred to the Presidency Council.

He also said the HoR was ready to back the Government of National Accord. At its insistence, the Presidency Council had produced a second, smaller cabinet that that parliament was on the verge of approving it when its session was interrupted by a minority of members who opposed the vote. These individuals, he said, had resorted to threats and intimidation preventing the majority from voting freely. He noted that despite this, one hundred members, constituting a majority, had signed a statement endorsing the new government and its programme.

“I am convinced that a positive vote could have taken place on 22 February,” he said, “had the leadership of the House of Representatives shown the resolve and determination to put the Government of National Accord to a vote”.

He had therefore been in touch with HoR president Ageela Saleh insisting he register the majority view and endorse the GNA .

Kobler warned that if the new government was not recognised by early next week, in line with the Libyan Political Agreement he intended to reconvene the Libyan Political Dialogue to look for another way of tackling the issue. He gave no indication of possible solutions. As the duly-elected parliament, the HOR’s role is central to LPA.

Kobler repeated that there were no alternatives to the LPA. The Government of National Accord should be allowed to take up its duties in Tripoli as soon as possible. He noted that the Presidency Council had set up a security committee to oversee the safe relocation of the new government to the capital but admitted that, with few exceptions, even he and fellow members of UNSMIL had repeatedly been denied permission to land or even overfly Libya Dawn-controlled areas.

Kobler explained to the UN Security Council that he planned to broaden the support for the LPA by going back to municipal and tribal leaders. He said he also wanted to be engaging civil society organisations and groups representing women, of whom he regretted, too few had been admitted to the political process.

This would be a revival of the different negotiating streams initiated by his predecessor Bernardino Leon. At that time, elected local councillors were praised as having a clear democratic mandate. There had even been proposal, later abandoned, that a National Municipalities body be established to shadow a new government.  Leon’s attempts to bring tribal leaders on board were less successful. One meeting in Cairo had to be abandoned because of violent disagreements.

Kobler floated the idea today of a nation-wide “Grand Shura” though he did not specify if it might have a short-term role in getting the LPA working or longer-term function once the new government has started work. Under December’s political agreement signed in the Moroccan resort of Skirhat, the key consultative role rests with the State Council, drawn largely from members originally elected to the General National Congress.  Kobler said that he welcome the preliminary meetings of the State Council and said he was looking forward to its first official meeting in Tripoli as soon as possible.

Kobler said that it was with a heavy heart that humanitarian problems had increased against the background of a poor financial response from the international community. He repeated recent UN findings that 2.4 million people in Libya needed some sort of help including a million children at risk from not being inoculated and 1.3 million people who didn’t have enough to eat. He said that more than 40 percent of health facilities were not working. A resolution to the political impasse was therefore imperative.

“The overwhelming majority of the Libyan people are in favour of the Libyan Political Agreement. The overwhelming majority support the formation of a Government of National Accord that effectively addresses the existing threats and the overwhelming majority want and deserve peace – now”

He added: “Some of those politically responsible on both sides, however, still refuse to listen to the voices of the Libyan people and [continue to] pursue their own narrow political interests”. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredKoblerLibyaUNSC

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
IS gunmen fleeing Libya take terror to Tunisian border town

IS gunmen fleeing Libya take terror to Tunisian border town

Tripoli revolutionaries threaten State Council

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.