No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UPDATE: Libya Dialogue delegates to meet in New York

byMichel Cousins
September 29, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
UPDATE: Libya Dialogue delegates to meet in New York

Libyan flag at the UN (file Photo)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Libyan flag at the UN (file Photo)
Libyan flag at the UN (file photo)

Tripoli/Tunis, 29 September 2015:

Delegates to the UN-brokered Libya Dialogue talks, including those from the House of Representatives (HoR) . . .[restrict]and the General National Congress, will meet in New York on Thursday and Friday, the Libya Herald has been told, although the precise nature of the event remains unclear. Last week UN Special Envoy Bernardino Leon announced that the delegates would initial the definitive Draft agreement during the UN General Assembly meeting in New York.  Earlier todayday, though, UN officials had been saying that it was uncertain if the meeting would take place.

Now, according to one western diplomat involved in the process,  there will be a meeting on Thursday to approve the definitive text of the peace plan, finally distributed only last night, then the delegates will chose names for the prime minister, the two deputy prime minsters and the other two members of the presidency council. On Friday, there will be a ceremony, in effect giving the Draft the UN’s blessing, attended by the Secretary General and a number of foreign ministers.

However, another western diplomat has said it was unlikely that a prime minister and the other ministers would be decided in New York.  That would be done when the delegates reconvened at Skhirat, possibly next Sunday, he said.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Meanwhile he and other diplomats expressed fears about the Dialogue momentum being lost and of deadlines not being met. “We’re losing time. It’s going too slow,” he said.

However in what is being seen as a positive move, the HoR yesterday agreed to send its delegates back to the Dialogue, although at the time, according to an HoR spokesman, it had not seen the definitive Draft when it made the decision.

The delgates were pulled out a fortnight ago after Leon agreed to demands from the General National Congress in Tripoli that he include its amendments to the Draft agreement.

The HoR yesterday also agreed to set up a new Dialogue support committee with limited executive powers to enable decisions about the Dialogue to be made more quickly.

Nonetheless, there have been mixed messages coming out of both it and the General National Congress in Tripoli about whether they wish to continue with the Dialogue. There are strong voices in both opposed to it.

Moreover, on Sunday, speaking at the UN General Assembly, HoR President Ageela Salah Gwaider said that the Dialogue negotiations might continue past the 20 October deadline set by Leon.

The fear among those facilitating and backing the Dialogue is that if it passes the deadline, the discussions will continue interminably with no agreement being reached. [/restrict]

Tags: Bernardino LeònfeaturedLibyaSkhiratUN dialogue

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Benghazi’s Leithi: Army makes first advance in two months

Benghazi's Leithi: Army makes first advance in two months

Striking teachers offered small rise

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.