No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Angry Libyans block aircraft from taking off

byMichel Cousins
November 27, 2011
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Body :
TRIPOLI, Nov 26, 2011 (AFP) -Dozens of Libyans demanding justice after deadly unrest in the late Moamer . . .[restrict]Kadhafi’s ex-bastion of Bani Walid on Saturday blocked a Tunisian airliner for several hours from taking off from Tripoli’s Matiga airport.
An AFP journalist said the Tunisair plane was prevented from moving for several hours by young people from the Sug Jomaa district of the capital who sat around it.
Around 50 cars also drove onto the airport tarmac, with some parking under the Airbus A-320 which had been due to take off for Tunis at 5:00 pm (1500 GMT).
The plane eventually took off around 11:00 pm, witnesses told AFP, after authorities reassured those who were blocking the plane that perpetrators of violence would be brought to justice.
“We were promised that steps will be taken by Wednesday,” Ahmed Dernaoui, who was one of the demonstrators, told AFP.
The protesters said that former rebel fighters from their area were called in as reinforcements this week to Bani Walid, some 170 kilometres (105 miles) southeast of Tripoli but they were attacked by elements from the former regime.
Thirteen of them were killed, according to National Transitional Council (NTC) member Abderrazak Abdessalam al-Aradi, who came to the airport to try to defuse the tense situation.
“We just want justice. If not, we will make justice ourselves,” Mohammed Belhaj, another protester, told AFP.
One of his colleagues, Hosni Berbesh, added: “They’re nothing but chameleons in Bani Walid. They’ve only changed colour, but they still support the old regime.”
The Sug Jomaa residents are demanding the arrest of murderers and the disarmament of brigades in Bani Walid. The NTC is expected to discuss the incident on Sunday.
In Tunis, the airline’s director of exterior relations Sulafa Mokkadem told AFP: “These were armed Libyans who wanted to get on the aircraft to verify the identities of wounded on board.
“The captain refused to let them on board. The aircraft did not take off. This action was not directed against us or Tunisia. It is a dispute between Libyans.”
She said there were some 50 people on board the airliner, “mostly Libyans”.

[/restrict]

RELATED POSTS

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Tunisia ex-strongman's nephew gets 18 years prison

Libyan Berbers protest outside PM's office

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.