No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Misrata Mayor’s UAE visit upsets local MB; UAE flags burned

byMichel Cousins
March 21, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Misrata, 11 May 2015:

UAE flags were burned yesterday at a small protest in Misrata, believed to have been . . .[restrict]organised by the local Muslim Brotherhood. It followed a visit to the Emirates last week by the Mayor of Misrata, Mohamed Eshtewi. He was accompanied by Misrata councillor Ali Busetta and former Deputy President of the General National Congress, Juma Ateega. The latter, who has maintained good contacts in the UAE, had organised the three-day trip.

According to Eshtewi, speaking on local Misrata radio after returning, the talks with UAE officials responsible for relations with Libya had been both useful and positive.

For their part, he said, the three had put Misrata’s point of view about the General National Congress, the government in Tripoli, the House of Representatives, the UN-sponsored Dialogue and a government of national unity as well as Misrata’s own local efforts at reconciliation including its agreements with the Warshefana and the Magarha.

RELATED POSTS

New China-UAE-Benghazi Julyana Free Port shipping line inaugurated

LAIP stalled Misrata cement factory committee meets to move the project forward

In particular, the talks had focussed on two issues:

  • 1) Accusations that the UAE was involved in air strikes last year in Tripoli;
  • 2) The five remaining Libyan businessmen detained in the UAE a year ago.

With regard to the former, the Emiratis had repeated earlier denials of any such involvement, the mayor said. As to the latter, the UAE had said that the businessmen were facing criminal charges relating to weapons smuggling and they would be put on trial.

The Misratans had asked to see the Libyans in jail, but for what appears to have been a number of technical reasons this was not granted. The mayor also said that the Emiratis had promised that the trial would be fair.

In a more startling statement, he further claimed that the Emiratis had said that they would no longer support General Khalifa Hafter and that they had said he was a “source of tension” in Libya and “a concern”.

Hafter was himself in the UAE a fortnight ago for military talks with the authorities there.

A source in UAE closely connected to dealings with Libya today said that the UAE saw the Misrata visit as a chance to draw it “back into the fold” and away from Libya Dawn. The same source also pointed out that Hafter had not been received by the head of the UAE military, and that apart from meeting Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al-Nahyan, the UAE’s Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Presidential Affairs, had spent much of his visit sightseeing.

Clearly angry that the delegation had gone to Abu Dhabi in the first place, and evidently hoping to gather local support, yesterday’s protestors demanded more be done in Misrata, in particular for the local hospital. They were also opposed to Misrata’s decision to withdraw forces from the west, demanding that more be done to support the city’s troops on the front lines. They further demanded that the city take a firm position against the latest UNSMIL draft proposals to resolve the Libyan crisis.

They did not appear to have much support locally and were not large in number. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaMisrataUAE

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Turkish ship attacked by Libyan airforce, one officer killed

Turkish ship attacked by Libyan airforce, one officer killed

Tripoli electricity minister warns of further power outages

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.