No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Confusion over Constitutional Drafting Assembly relocation

byNigel Ash
February 27, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

cda

Tripoli, 26 February 2015:

The Constitutional Drafting Assembly is not moving from . . .[restrict]its original Beida base, its president Ali Tarhuni said this evening, refuting earlier reports that it had decided to quit the overcrowded town.

It had been said that the CDA had voted 18 to 12 to move out of Beida because of poor communications, unreliable power supply and security concerns. There are unconfirmed reports that one of the 54 CDA members, Zeyneb Al-Zayedi was earlier this week roughed up when she was passing through Labraq Airport.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli government forces regain control over Ras Jedir Libyan-Tunisian border crossing

Armed clashes between government forces and local Zuwara forces at Libyan-Tunisian border crossing – Tunisia closes border

According to normally reliable sources, the Assembly was due to be quitting the old parliament building in Beida, possibly to relocate to Malta. However Tarhuni went on TV this evening to say that the CDA was staying where it was, in Beida.

It is not entirely clear how this confusion came about. A group of CDA members is currently in Geneva taking part in a seminar. The vote among the members still in Beida, if it did indeed take place as widely reported, would appear to be irregular since only just over a half of the members was present for the ballot. It did not prove possible to contact any of the CDA members who had gone Geneva.

The key body charged with producing the new constitution is nominally 60-strong. However the boycott by the Amazigh community means that six of the seats are unfilled. Last September the Assembly invited responses to its draft constitution document. This process closed in January.

The Assembly is now busy examining all the submissions. Meanwhile there is a push to persuade the Amazigh to reverse their original boycott of the Assembly and produce the missing six members, before the final document is produced.

One person close to the assembly told the Libya Herald: “The Amazigh have sent people to Beida to talk about their joining the process. We are hopeful this initiative will succeed. However the draft constitution already makes a point of recognising minority rights of the Amazigh as well as the Tebu and Tuareg”.

The source went on to say that it was unlikely the Amazigh could extract any further concessions from the CDA, since the provisions for minorities in the draft document were already generous. [/restrict]

Tags: amazighconstitutional drafting committeefeaturedLibyaTarhuni

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Moscow-bound Thinni stops in Cairo for anti-terrorism talks

Malta event debates situation in Libya

Malta event debates situation in Libya

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.