No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Al-Awami leads group of former lawmakers rejecting the reconvening of the GNC

byNewsdesk2
November 12, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 11 November 2014:

A group of 94 members of the General National Congress (GNC) is reportedly refusing to play . . .[restrict]any part in  reconvening of the GNC.

Former  GNC First Deputy President Ezzeddin Al-Awami, speaking for the loose and unofficial grouping of 94 members who often voted in a bloc, told a local news agency that the group would soon release a statement. It would, Awami said, set out the members’ rejection of any attempt to revive the GNC.

Furthermore, said Awami, the 94 stand solidly behind the elected House of Representatives (HoR). They reject every new decision passed by the expired GNC, including the appointment of Omar Al-Hassi as Prime Minister. Awami said that the statement will affirm that they believe such decisions have led to the continuing chaos and violence in the country.

RELATED POSTS

CBL welcomes signing of Unified Development Agreement between HoR & High State Council: important step towards strengthening financial stability and unifying development efforts

Aldabaiba hits back at opportunist ‘‘warmonger’’ HoR Speaker Saleh

Awami said he and the others in the bloc wished to send a message to the international community that the GNC’s term has legally expired and that the HoR is the sole elected governing body in the country. The President of the GNC should have surrendered his duties after the convening of the HoR.

Awami opened the convening of the HoR in August, congratulating the lawmakers for the “confidence accorded them by the Libyan people”. He was one of a handful of GNC members to attend the opening. When the GNC had stalled on the transition of power, Awami was one of the voices calling for the handover to be done quickly.

As recently as late last month, Awami was one of 52 leading Libyan figures to urge boycotting HoR members to join their colleagues in the sitting HoR. They sent a written appeal addressed to all members of the House, as well as to the UN Special Representative Bernardino Leon, calling on members of the House of Representatives who have been boycotting its sessions in Tobruk to join their colleagues, ensure an end to the current conflict which they fear could end in civil war and appoint a government of national unity.

In the written appeal they said that the HoR was “the only legitimate body” and that the boycotters should join in, proving its legitimacy was based on inclusiveness. [/restrict]

Tags: Ezzedin Al-AwamiGeneral National CongressHoR House of RepresentativesLibya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Over 250 Egyptians out of work as Libyan schools in Egypt close

Over 250 Egyptians out of work as Libyan schools in Egypt close

UN envoy Bernardino Leon meets Nuri Abu Sahmain in Tripoli

UN envoy Bernardino Leon meets Nuri Abu Sahmain in Tripoli

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.