No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Fighting continues across Benghazi

byCallum Paton
June 9, 2017
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Maha Suliman and Adam Ali.

Benghazi 11 November 2014:

There were clashes and airstrikes again today in central Benghazi and . . .[restrict]several other districts as Libyan National Army (LNA) forces continued to battle with Benghazi Revolutionaries Shura Council (BRSC) for control of the city.

Saqr Adam Geroushi, the commander of Operation Dignity air forces fighting under the banner of the Libyan National Army (LNA), told the Libya Herald that aircraft in his command had carried out bombings over the Laithi, Sabri and Garyounis districts.

Geroushi claimed the LNA had been particularly successful in airstrikes on the BRSC base of Rafallah Hassi Brigade near to Gwarsha. He said his warplanes had destroyed a large shipment of weapons and ammunition which arrived to the brigade headquarters from Helif.

RELATED POSTS

LBC opens its Eastern Region branch at its new Benghazi location

Egypt Real Estate Exhibition launched in Benghazi

He also claimed the LNA air forces had sunk a ship on its approach to Benghazi’s seaport. Geroushi said the ship was carrying weapons and ammunition. Pro-government forces have been engaged in over a week of fighting around Benghazi port. The facility is of crucial strategic importance as it has been used regularly by BRSC to resupply their positions.

Fighting has continued near the port and in nearby Sabri and Suq Al-Hout. Yesterday, LNA spokesman Mohamed Al-Hejazi told this newspaper that government forces had completely surrounded the downtown Suq Al-Hout area. He said after seven days of fighting there Ansar Al-Sharia had begun raiding homes for supplies in the area and stealing petrol from parked cars in the streets.

Helicopter fired on BRSC positions in Sabri where Ansar Al-Sharia had reportedly deployed a number of snipers on the roofs of residential buildings. Geroushi explained that the LNA had faced difficulty in the area after many residents refused to leave their homes. With the presence of civilians still on the ground, he said, the military was unable to properly take advantage of its unchallenged air superiority.

Today the LNA ordered residents remaining in Suq Al-Hout, Sabri and Bel Awn to evacuate their homes. Those few remaining in Sabri said soldiers had come to their buildings and implored them to leave.

Elsewhere in the city clashes have continued in Laithi, Hawari, Gwarsha and Garyounis. In Garyounis, Geroushi explained that Ansar Al-Sharia had also taken to raiding nearby homes in search of supplies.

One resident of western Fuwayhat said the cost to the civilian population from the fighting not just in his district but across the city had been devastating. Almost all his neighbours had gone – he had taken his wife and family elsewhere for safety – and there were fews than a a dozen left. He also claimed 250 homes in Benghazi belonging to opponents of Operation Dignity and the LNA had been set on fire and said that young men believed to be supporters of Ansar Al-Sharia were still regularly being killed with impunity by pro-government vigilante forces.

Meanwhile, a clinic in Hawari for psychiatric illnesses had to be evacuated yesterday because of fierce fighting nearby. There was some confusion with reports that staff at Hawari hospital had been forced to leave. However, the spokesman for the hospital, Hani Araibi, explained that Hawari’s emergency departments had remained open. Other wards at the hospital have been closed for some time.

Araibi said the hospital employed a number of foreign medical professionals and staff from Egypt, the Phillipines, Bangladesh and India. He said because these staff lived at the hospital many had decided to leave but that the medical centre’s administrative team had stayed on and doctors were still treating patients in the difficult conditions.

Follow Maha Suliman on Twitter: @Mahasye

[/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziclashesLibya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Warring southern tribes agree ceasefire

Al-Awami leads group of former lawmakers rejecting the reconvening of the GNC

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.