No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Hafter declares Benghazi safe despite continued clashes

byCallum Paton
November 7, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Hafter declares Benghazi safe despite continued clashes

Khalifa Hafter tours central Benghazi (Photo: Social Media)

By Maha Suliman.

Bengnazi, 6 November 2014:

Khalifa Hafter, the controversial leader of Operation Dignity toured several Benghazi areas hardest hit . . .[restrict]in the recent fighting and declared the city safe.

Despite Hafter’s assertion, sporadic fighting continued into a third week, after pro-government forces re-entered the city. Mohammed Al-Hejazi the spokesman for Operation Dignity, which has been co-opted into the Libyan National Army (LNA), told the Libya Herald that clashes had taken place last night and this morning in the Laithi and Sabri districts.

A fire broke out at Benghazi’s Tibesti Hotel after a rocket struck its first floor causing only minor damage and nocasualties. The hotel, which became a focal point for protests during the revolution, is earmarked as the home of the House of Representatives. Hejazi claimed the rocket attack was deliberately meant to undermine the parliament and had been timed to coincide with the Supreme Court’s ruling on its legitimacy.

RELATED POSTS

LBC opens its Eastern Region branch at its new Benghazi location

Egypt Real Estate Exhibition launched in Benghazi

Hafter toured the districts of Ras Al-Baida, 20 Street and Sabri where fighting has raged for the past three days after pro-government forces attempted to secure Benghazi’s docks. The seaport still remains under the control of Ansar Al-Sharia and it allies.

Making a televised statement during the tour Hafter said the LNA had pacified Benghazi and would soon turn its attention to Tripoli and Derna.

Pro-government forces carried out airstrikes today on several targets in Garyounis, the Narh road and Guwarsha, Hejazi said.

Despite Hafter’s claims, large swathes of the west of the city including Guwarsha and parts of the city-centre remain under the control of the Benghazi Revolutionaries Shura Council and are where heavy clashes are predicted in the coming weeks.

[/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziclashesHafterLibyaTibesti Hotelviolence

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Supreme Court rules HoR illegal

Supreme Court's constitutional decision questioned as it widens rivalries

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.