No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Missile attacks continue in Tripoli as Janzour base is reported destroyed

byMichel Cousins
August 5, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ashraf Abdul-Wahab.

Tripoli, 4 August 2014:

Tripoli continued today to suffer some of its heaviest clashes since fighting between the Misrata-led “Libya . . .[restrict]Dawn Operation” and the Zintani-led alliance broke out at the airport three weeks ago.

For the past two days, there been a barrage of missiles landing randomly on the Airport Road, in Hay Al Akwa and nearby Abu Sleem, in Seraj, Krimea, Hadba, Wadi Rabia and Dreibi districts. In Hadba, the relative of friends of Libya Herald staff was killed sitting at home when a rocket hit his house. A 59-year old Indian worker, named as Soloman Daniel from Kerala, died when he was hit by a shell while returning home form work on Sunday. Other civilians are reported to have been likewise killed.

In the west Tripoli suburb of Janzour where where the local militia, the Fursan Janzour (Knights of Janzour) was under attack by Zintan’s Barq Al-Nasr Brigade supported by Warshefana forces, the camp of the National Mobile Forces – part of the Libya Dawn Operation and allied to the Fursan Janzour – is reported to have been overrun and destroyed today by the Zintanis and Warshefana. Following it, the victors were said to be heading for Camp 27, on the road to Zawia, to try and eject Libya Shield forces currently based there.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

The Barq Al-Nasr Brigade was accused by former Deputy Prime Minister Mustafa Abushagur of kidnapping him last Tuesday

Meanwhile missiles are also said to have hit the former women’s military academy next to the Suq Al-Talat roundabout at the end of Omar Mukhtar street, killing a number of militiamen there.

The fighting appears to have intensified since Nouri Abu Sahmain, the President of Congress, in a parting shot, declared the Zintani Qaaqaa and Sawak brigades to be illegal and called on members of the Libyan Revolutionaries Operations Room to destroy them.

Numbers of dead and injured in the latest fighting are unknown.

For residents in the capital, even without the dangers of random missiles landing, life is almost intolerable. In many places, food shops are running out of supplies and there are vast queues at bakers – when bread can be had. In Janzour, residents say, there has been no bread for the past day and a half. Last week they went four days without it.

Thousands have left their homes, either for safer places in the capital or elsewhere. According to the Red Crescent, 2,500 families have been forced to move, but the figure is believed to be higher.

Petrol in the oil-rich country is just as scarce as bread. One member of the Libya Herald staff left Tripoli at midnight on Saturday night for Misrata in an attempt to buy fuel. Arriving at 5 am he was turned away. He then went to Zliten where normally a petrol station on the main road opens at 7 am. It did not, but locals pointed him to another station. But he had to wait four hours in a queue. Twelve hours after he left Tripoli, he finally filled up and was able to return home.  His story is nothing special.  Everyone else in Tripoli is in the same boat. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaTripoli

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post

European and US support for the new parliament

Thinni meets Kerry in Washington

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.