No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Amazighs reject Constitutional Committee ahead of elections, plan own parliament.

byMichel Cousins
February 19, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Taziz Hasairi.

Tripoli, 19 February 2014:

The Amazigh Supreme Council today declared in Tripoli its total rejection of . . .[restrict]the Constitutional Committee to be elected tomorrow and any constitution it devises. It announced that it plans instead to hold its own elections for a parliament for the Amazigh. No date was given.

It called the tomorrow a “Day of Mourning” in Amazigh areas, and urged the Amazigh to go out and demonstrate against what it called “these fake elections”. The Committee, it said, because it would not have the 60 members it is supposed to comprise, but 58, would have no legitimacy.

It is down to 58 because of the Amazigh boycott. It may have 56 with the Tebu now doing so as well. 

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

Tripoli government forces regain control over Ras Jedir Libyan-Tunisian border crossing

“We announce that this black day is the beginning of a political and social divide that will be a turning point in Amazigh political action,” the council stated, declaring that “we will not recognise those who do not recognise us”.

Elections would be prepared for a parliament in the Amazigh areas which would take over from the council, it said.

These, it added, were just initial steps. There would be unspecified others if the Amazigh continued to be oppressed and rejected, it declared.

Calling the democratic transition a “disappointment” and predicting that the new constitution would be a failure, it said that an announcement by General National Congress yesterday that an agreement that the constitution would be based on the principle of consensus was untrue. An original document on the subject that the council had approved and presented to Congress had been amended and truncated, it insisted.

The head of Amazigh Supreme Council, Ibrahim Makhlouf told the Libya Herald that the process of electing the Amazigh parliament would be announced in the next few days, based on constituencies drawn up by the council’s legal committee.

The parliament would be comprise a member from either the local council or municipal council in the Amazigh towns plus two elected members from each of the towns that are a part of the Amazigh Supreme Council, he explained.

Amazigh towns have meanwhile announced that tomorrow, which as election day is a public holiday throughout Libya, will be a normal working day.

The deputy leader of Nalut Local Council, Abdullag Sulaiman, also told this newspaper, that it would go to the Constitutional Court over the legality of the constitution. “We are not going to recognise the constitution that comes from the 58-member committee”, he insisted.

The Amazigh decided to boycott tomorrow’s election because they felt that the two seats allocated to the community were insufficient. Another basic demand is the principle of consensus, which means that the Tamazight language should be recognised as an official language in the constitution.   [/restrict]

Tags: amazighAmazigh Supreme CouncilLibyanalutTripoli

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post

Tebu blockade stops arrival of election materials in south

Elections to go ahead in Kufra and Derna despite ongoing violence

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Industry exploring establishing two-million-ton annual capacity “environmentally friendly” cement plant with China’s Goodwill Ceramic

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.