No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Zeidan denies Egypt caved in to blackmail over kidnapped envoys

byCallum Paton
February 2, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Zeidan denies Egypt caved in to blackmail over kidnapped envoys

Ali Zeidan with his Egyptian counterpart Hazem Beblawi (Photo:Prime Minister's Office)

By Callum Paton.

Ali Zeidan with his Egyptian counterpart Hazem Beblawi (Photo:Prime Minister's Office)
Ali Zeidan with his Egyptian counterpart Hazem Beblawi (Photo:Prime Minister’s Office)

Tripoli, 2 February 2014:

Prime Minister Ali Zeidan has denied that Egypt released a leading Libyan militia chief because five . . .[restrict]of its diplomats had been kidnapped in Tripoli nine days ago.  He was speaking after a meeting with Egyptian premier Hazem Beblawi in Cairo.

At a joint press conference with Beblawi,  Zeidan  said on Friday that the release by the Egyptians of the  head of the Libyan Revolutionaries Operation Room (LROR), Shaaban Hadia Al-Zway,  did not mean  that the Egyptian authorities had  caved  in to pressure or negotiated an exchange following the kidnapping of the Egyptian diplomats.

The Prime Minister said that he knew Zway personally. He called  him “an ordinary man”, adding that the LROR commander had merely been questioned and released by the Egyptians over his residency in Egypt.

RELATED POSTS

Kidnaper in 2019 of 14 Tunisian nationals convicted for 12 years’ imprisonment

Libyan Railroads signs MoU with Chinese BFI Consortium for rail line to Egypt

“I have been assured by the Prime Minister that the Egyptian state would never accept or tolerate blackmail or compromise,” Zeidan said, adding “The Egyptian government has acted with honour in this matter”.

Beblawi said that Egyptian diplomatic staff would be returning to Libya when the security situation allowed. He said that the evacuation of Egyptian envoys from Libya had been solely for security reasons and did not reflect a breakdown in diplomatic relations between the two countries.

Zeidan called Libya’s relationship with Egypt “one of the main pillars” of his country’s foreign policy, adding that he hoped the two states would continue to cooperate in the areas of the economy, labour, culture and education.

The Prime Minister yesterday went on to have his first meeting with  Field Marshall Sisi.  According to Libya Mostakbal, the two men reportedly discussed matters of border security including the cross-border movement of weapons and extremist groups.

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: Abdel Fattah Al-SisiEgyptfeaturedkidnappingLibyaZeidan

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Paris denies French press reports of commandos operating in south

Football champions home tomorrow - tour to start in Benghazi

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.