No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Just three 4x4s to patrol 120 Jufra desert weapons stores

byNigel Ash
December 21, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Just three 4x4s to patrol 120 Jufra desert weapons stores

Hun Libyan Shield Commander Ayed Rehel - "just three 4x4s"

By Callum Paton

Hun Libyan Shield Commander Ayed Rehel - "just three 4x4s"
Hun Libyan Shield Commander Ayed Rehel – “just three 4x4s” (Photo:Aimen Eljali)

Tripoli, 20 December 2013:

TheLibya Shield commander in Hun has said that weapons stores in the desert around . . .[restrict]Jufra lie at the mercy of gun runners and Al-Qaeda. He added that his forces are already stretched as they combat drugs trafficking, smuggling and illegal immigration.

Speaking to the Libya Herald at his headquarters in Hun, Ayed Rehel, said  that he has just three all-terrain vehicles to patrol a region that contains some 120 weapons stores. These arsenals are supposedly under the control of military police in Jufra. However, Rehel said the dumps were poorly-protected and subject to raids.

He admitted that the soldiers protecting these arsenals “are old and lacking in energy and resources”. Rehel went on to explain that the dumps containing small arms were difficult to protect because they had “many access points”.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The commander, who leads  a force of just 140 in the Jufra region said his men had not confronted Islamist groups operating through the desert. However, he said he could confirm that Libyans were selling arms, seized from nearby weapons caches, to Al-Qaeda and affiliated groups, moving between Niger, Libya and Mali. These arms, he said, were for the most part, outdated Kalashnikovs.

There are a further 20 weapon stores in the area holding chemical weapons and the raw materials to produce them. These armaments, insisted Rehel, are secure and in the process of being destroyed by the United Nations with the cooperation of Libya Shield.

His force’s main job is pursuing illegal aliens and drug traffickers who cross over the frontiers with Egypt, Mali and Niger. In the last year, it had arrested 270 mostly agricultural workers from sub-Saharan Africa trying to make their way to Europe. He said that the illegals were detained by his men for around 24 hours, during which the detainees are given health checks, before being deported.

“Libyans move them [Illegal immigrants] from the border to Jufra for roughly LD 400.” Rehel explained, “Taxis and big vans will take them from Sebha to the north and Tripoli for LD 850 a person”.

The commander said that his force was spread far too thinly to be truly effective. He said that only extra manpower and the expertise that could only be provided by a highly-trained unit, could meet the challenges

He said that his organisation is more than ready to hand over power to the army and police. Until then, he said, he and his men will work with security forces.

“Then the young men in our force will then return to their studies and their work. Some even now spend four hours at work and then go off to study,” he added.

The Hun commander was optimistic but said that change in the area would take time.

“Before [the revolution] we were not free. We could not talk to the media. We could not express our ideas. We could not hold weapons,” he said, “It has been a good thing that the youth have been able to hold weapons and assert their will. But it will not be long before this will all disappear and life in Libya will return to normal.” [/restrict]

Tags: featuredHunJufraLibyaLibya Shieldweapons dumps

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Tripoli residents alerted to risks of explosive remnants from armed clashes

Tripoli residents alerted to risks of explosive remnants from armed clashes

Medical supplies for new women’s hospital delivered to Kufra

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.