No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Congress decision still awaited on LROR

byMichel Cousins
November 8, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ahmed Elumami.

Tripoli, 6 November 2013:

Despite an unprecedented three consecutive days of sittings – on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday – General National . . .[restrict]Congress has reached no decision has yet on the future of the Libyan Revolutionaries Operations Room (LROR). Nor is there any agreement so far on the whether to strip the Congress President, Nuri Abu Sahmain, of his security powers. Final decisions on both may be made next Sunday.

Congress did agree, however, last Sunday, to set up two committees, one to investigate last month’s abduction of Prime Minister Ali Zeidan which the LROR has been accused of masterminding, and the allocation of LD 900 million to the LROR.

“The discussions are still ongoing and we may make the final decision at the next Sunday sitting,” Zintan independent Congressman Abdulsalam Abdullah Nassiya told the Libya Herald.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Many members, he said, were split between simply cancelling of LROR’s assignment to secure Tripoli and repealing the decision to form it.

Claiming that Abu Sahmain had had no right to form LROR under his own control, he said that the main reason for the delay in making a decision was attitude of  members of Al-Wafa bloc. A grouping of most members of the Justice and Construction Party (J&C) and other like-minded Congress members, the bloc has raised concerns about security in the capital if the LROR’s power were curtailed

“If you get rid of it, who will deal with security in Tripoli?” Benghazi Congressman Mohamed Amari Ziyad said to this paper.  The capital could become like his city, he warned.

He claimed that Congress had been about to vote yesterday on cancelling the LROR’s assignment in Tripoli but that the 94 Congres members who boycotted the GNC sittings recently started “shouting and causing trouble” when they felt that the vote was not going to go their way.

It was at that point, he said, that Abu Sahmain decided to adjourn the session until next Sunday.

Yesterday’s debate on the issue was certainly acrimonious, with shouting and threats, and many members deciding to leave.

However, according to the Chairman of Congress’ National Security Committee, Abdulmonem Al-Yaser, Congress is now moving towards a compromise under which the LROR would be removed from the control of the President of Congress and putt it into the hands of the Chief of Staff.  The plan, he said, was that it would be reorganised and de-politicised. Although there were some Congress members that were against any change in its status, negotiations were well under way to hand it over, he stated.

According to Zayed, Al-Wafa bloc has agreed to the LROR coming under the control of the  Chief of Staff.

The two committees to investigate the Prime Minister’s kidnapping and the LD 900-million allocation are still to filled, Nassiya said. Each would have seven to nine members, elected by Congress as a whole.

[/restrict]

Tags: General National CongressLibyaLRORNuri Abu Sahmain

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Government ups oil salaries by 67%, others by 20%

Wounded Benghazi security official loses battle for life

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.