No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Zeidan still keen on selecting not electing local municipal councils

bySami Zaptia
October 31, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Zeidan still keen on selecting not electing local municipal councils

Zeidan said that Italy was determined to help Libya (Photo: Sami Zaptia).

By Sami Zaptia.

Zeidan is still keen to select rather than elect municipal council members (Photo: Sami Zaptia).
Zeidan is still keen to select rather than elect municipal council members (Photo: Sami Zaptia).

Tripoli, 31 October 2013:

Speaking at yesterday’s press conference, Prime Minister Ali Zeidan was still hoping that the GNC would . . .[restrict]take up his alternative proposal that he be allowed to appoint the heads of the Municipal Councils.

Zeidan noted that preparations for the elections were quite advanced in a number of areas, with a number probably having their elections within the next two weeks.

However, the Prime Minister had made no secrets about his concerns that the municipal elections could become divisive and drawn out, and had pushed the GNC to allow him to appoint the municipality councils as he saw their role as part of the executive branch, the government, and not the legislative branch, the GNC.

RELATED POSTS

UNSMIL congratulates citizens of 26 municipalities for successful conduct of local elections – calls for holding of suspended elections

Democracy is the only way forward for Libya: Aldabaiba to Libyan youth

At yesterday’s press conference, Zeidan seemed to float a compromise in order to democratize the process somewhat. Zeidan said that if his government were allowed to appoint the councils, his appointment would be based on local consultation.

He said that he would undertake that his choice of councilors  would be based on local consultation after going through a process of interviewing and assessing candidates proposed by the regions.

Zeidan sees the municipal councils as an important part of his decentralization policy whereby local municipal councils are given budgets to spend on local needs, taking away the centralized and distant role of the Tripoli government.

He is also worried that the municipal councils if elected, in both the election process itself and in the execution of their duties, would turn into another (party?) political tug-of-war, as is the case within the GNC, rendering them and his government’s ability to execute policy and deliver much needed local services impotent.

http://www.libyaherald.com/2013/10/25/municipal-elections-face-postponement/

It is worth noting that earlier in October, the head of the High National Election Commission (HNEC), Nuri Elabbar, had asked the GNC to postpone the municipality elections so as not to clash with the elections for the constitutional-drafting “committee of 60”. [/restrict]

Tags: democracyexecutivefeatureGNCmunicipal council electionsZeidan

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Two new oil refineries approved - Zeidan

Rain prayers heard in squares across the country

Rain prayers heard in squares across the country

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.