No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Fears for Anoud Senussi grow

byMichel Cousins
September 4, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

Tripoli, 3 September 2013:

Fears mounted today for the safety of Abdullah Senussi’s daughter Anoud, abducted yesterday minutes after she . . .[restrict]was released from jail. A member of Congress, who did not want to be named, told the Libya Herald this afternoon that members were afraid that she was dead.

“It will be a disaster,” said the Congress member. “Libya will be attacked by human rights organisations around the world.”

Even before the rumours spread in and around Sebha this evening that she had been murdered shortly after being seized, angry members of the Megraha tribe, of which her family are members, had blocked roads and were theatening to cut off the Man-Made River. “She is our daughter,” said Salah Abu Hazam, head of the local council in nearby Gira in Wadi Ashatti.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan militias intensified suppression of dissent, attacks on civil society. Thousands arbitrarily detained, arrested for exercise of human rights: Amnesty International report

CBL Board hold second 2025 meeting in Sebha, discusses revenues, foreign exchange and banking services

Anoud was kidnapped yesterday just 100 metres from the gates of Ruaimi prison in the capital’s Ain Zara suburb. She had been held for 10 months at the women’s section after she was arrested and charged with travelling to the country using a false passport. She claimed she had come to Libya to visit her father in prison. Last week, the Justice Minister Salah Marghani announced she would be released.

She was seized yesterday when five carloads of masked gunmen ambushed the three-vehicle convoy taking her to the airport to fly to Sebha, where her family lives.

The Congress member’s fears about international reaction were already being realised this evening when Amnesty International said that the abduction raised “serious concerns about her safety and the Libyan authorities’ ability to protect detainees held since the 2011 armed conflict”.  It proved that Libya could not organise fair trials for Anoud’s father and Saif Al-Islam, the statement implied.

“How can the Libyan authorities claim that they are able to deliver fair trials, and apply the law in the most prominent, politically sensitive cases, when they are manifestly unable to ensure the basic safety of detainees?”, it asked. [/restrict]

Tags: Abdullah SenussiAmnesty InternationalAnoud SenussiLibyaSebha

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Man-Made River “cut”; western Libya could face water shortage

Man-Made River "cut"; western Libya could face water shortage

Assassination attempt against retired colonel in Adjabiya

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.