No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Warshefana Zawia peace deal threatened by fresh kidnappings

byMichel Cousins
August 26, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

Tripoli, 26 August 2013:

A peace deal agreed in principal by leaders of Zawia and Warshefana early on Sunday has . . .[restrict]been put in jeopardy by Warshefana militiamen who last night seized 11 people from Zawia. According to the leader of Zawia Local Council, Mohamed Khadrawi, the 11 were civilians, not members of any brigade, and had been kidnapped at checkpoints set up by Warshefana units on the roads between Zawia and the Warshefana area.

The two neighbouring communities have a long history of rivalry.

Speaking this afternoon, Khadrawi said that negotiations were now taking place with Warshefana elders to secure the detainees’ release. He was confident they would be freed. Earlier on Saturday, he noted, two other Zawian detainees, had been released by the Warshefana.  The Warshefana elders had been, be said, “very helpful” and were making “great efforts” to resolve the issues between the two sides.

RELATED POSTS

Zawia Refinery security taken over from militias by Libyan Army

Military operations launched in Zawia and surrounding areas ostensibly to fight crime – and possibly militias too

Yesterday, it was announced that the Warshefana elders and leaders from Zawia had met separately with mediators from Misrata, eastern Libya and the Jebel Nafusa and agreed to release detainees captured during Friday’s and Saturday’s fighting, to refer the dispute as to where the boundary between the two areas should be drawn, to set up a peacemaking body to resolve issues between the two communities and to the deployment of third-party forces in flash-point areas. The two neighbouring communities also agreed to launch investigations into the deaths of those killed as a result of the conflict between them.

According to an announcement from Warshefana Shoura Council yesterday, it had met late Saturday night until 5am on Sunday morning with mediators from Misrata and the Eastern Region National Unity Forum along with elders from Zintan, Jadu, Rujban, Rigdaleen and Yefran. The meeting is said to have unanimously agreed that the country’s safety and stability were of utmost importance to all Libyans and that, as such, there had to be a ceasefire between the battling neighbours.

The Shoura Council also said that following a meeting of Zawia leaders with the mediators, Zawia had also agreed on the need for a fundamental reconciliation between the two sides.

  [/restrict]

Tags: LibyawarshefanaZawia

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Libya has many problems - Zeidan

Canadian embassy Tripoli outsources visa process

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.